Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Walls are White

Plan 2010 is in full effect. I spent last night on the ergometer rowing my heart away. Well, actually a short 12 X 250 meter with 1:30 active rest piece. With warm up and warm down, I rowed 7000 meters (4.3 miles). I can also tell you the walls inside my rowing studio (garage) are white.

A couple of you have expressed some interest in using a rowing machine. If you haven't used an ergometer before, I would highly suggest that you watch this video. I filched it from Concept2's website, the company that makes the rowing machine that you most often see in a gym. It's an excellent instructional video on proper rowing technique:



Do it right, and rowing is an excellent non-impact workout. Not only do you get the benefits of a great cardio workout (last night I hit heart rates over 160 bpm), but as you can see in the video, every large muscle group is engaged at some point during the rowing stroke. Thanks to my kids, I've had the pleasure of hanging around some athletes, and maybe with the exception of water polo players (what studs and studettes!), rowers have the best body definition of the group. No scrawny legs or t-rex arms on rowers! Do it wrong though, and just like running, injury will be chasing you out the door.

On tap tonight - 9 miles of tempo madness. I think that's 1 mile warm up, 7 miles at 10K pace, 1 mile warm down. Blech. I'm still sore from Sunday. Time to HTFU.

9 comments:

  1. Yea Glenn, HTFU! :) JK! I used to row a lot and I really liked how it engaged so much of my body. Good work out there, you are already rockin' in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HTFU? I must be too new to running to know what that means :)

    Glad to hear your training and cross training are going well. Sorry for not checking in for a while-- it has been a crazy couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...I'm sold. I'm trying out the rowing machines at the gym next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the video, that was pretty amazing. The rowing machines at the gym are NEVER in use yet, a zillion people want to run on the treadmils. I am definitely going to try the rowing now, thanks again!
    By the way, are you REALLY going to define HTFU in your blog???? I always say that to BS when he whines...he doesn't smile back :( .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nine miles of tempo! You are a rock star!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, how do you do 7 miles at 10k pace? Because if you can run that pace for 7 miles during a 9 mile workout then you can definitely run faster than that for a 6.2 mile race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was def in the best shape ever when i rowed! part of that may have been aided by the double workouts... but still. :) hope that tempo run went well! i did a 'big' 4-mi tempo and felt soo out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the video, Glen. I row once or twice a week and find that my form suffers as I get further into the row. First 2k, my technique is great, but the last 2K are generally a mess. I am going to try to visualize this video when I am rowing in the homestretch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your tempo run was rockin'! I wouldn't mind giving rowing a try, I wish my gym had a machine. I'm sure it'd hand my booty to me.

    ReplyDelete