Monday, September 20, 2010

How to enjoy an Ultramarathon?

By volunteering of course!

Saturday I took the easy way out. I got a cool shirt and was part of an ultra. I got to lounge on the aptly named Cocktail Rock (no – I didn’t bring any) for a couple of hours and watch a bunch of tremendous athletes enjoying themselves during the first hour of their ten plus hour appointment with destiny.

My job was pretty simple. Be out on the trail by 5:30AM, about an hour before the start. I got to run under the stars for 2 miles to make sure that a critical junction at mile 3.6 was still accurately marked. Then, I got to hoof another 2.5 miles to make sure no one took a left when they should take a right at the Old San Juan junction. Finally, when the last runner passed, I returned the was I came to make sure no one was left and all the ribbons and markings were cleared. I got to enjoy a beautiful dawn, peace and solitude on the trails, some tremendous scenery, and dodge a few out of control mountain bikers.

Come enjoy the hills of south Orange County with me:

Congratulations to all the finishers of the Chimera 100s ultramarathon!

* When all was said and done, I even got to take a 2 mile shortcut each direction, so even though I was at mile 6 of the course, I only had to run 8 miles total.

20 comments:

  1. Nice video. It never got so hot this summer that everything turned brown, there's still a lot of green out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA I love it. That is the only way I would enjoy an Ultra for sure!! Like the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the video! What a beautiful place you have to run - I totally see why you love the trails. Maybe after I survive my first 100 next year, I'll come your way for a race...so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Glenn. I think I remember and old original Star Trek episode filmed in that sopt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine being on my feet just standing around for 10 hours, let alone run that long. This is utterly insane. Volunteering does seem like the way to go..haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Georgeous country!! Sounds like it was a ton of fun!! Glad you didn't get anyone lost :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the video. What a beautiful run.

    I'm glad you're enjoying your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great video!! Volunteers are so important, and you got a sweet 8 miles in :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on volunteering!!! It looks so dark early on I always think I might just fall down the side of a mountain and not know it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to be a part of an ultra! Very cool to volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Glenn,
    Love the video! I have so much respect for anyone who even attempts to do an ultra! I think it is awesome that you volunteered:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job, I love those early mile jobs, so you can finish and get back to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Might have to add this as a goal race, absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the right idea! I might even run this race one day if you'll show me the shortcut... ;)

    Commenting via iPhone so I now have to go back and check out the video - yours are always enjoyable though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. spectating really is the best way to enjoy an ultra!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not a bad way to get an 8 mile run in either!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool! That looks like a lot of fun - I want to go check out those trails!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glenn, thanks for being the trail blazer for the Chimera 100K. Not having to worry about marking vandalism places where a wrong turn could prove disastrous was worth a T-shirt and a coke. And, I'm sure the runners were happy you cleared the spider webs too.

    Steve Harvey
    RD Old Goat Trail Races

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was nice to see someone there.

    I'm the guy in orange with a french accent.

    The marks were so nice during the first 9 miles loop...

    Thanks volunteer !

    ReplyDelete