Friday, September 24, 2010

Back to Running

So, despite the trials and tribulations of life, I have been hitting the trails on a more or less (ummmm, maybe less) regular frequency these days. Monday and Tuesday had me celebrating mourning my new found freedom*. But Wednesday I laced up my shoes and  headed out for a 5 mile jaunt through Shady Canyon. There are a couple of hills that are in the mix here. For whatever reason they seemed a little easier.

Running Shady Canyon 9-22-2010, Elevation - Distance

Then Thursday, I laced up my shoes and headed back to Laguna Coast Wilderness for 5 more miles. I dropped onto a new single track that I had not done before. The trail dropped me into the upper portion of Laurel Canyon. Dang! Am I sorry I left my camera at home!

Running Bommer Ridge-El Moro 9-23-2010

The operative word here is “dropped”. That’s 500 feet down in a mile and the impending climb out. No wonder the hills in Shady Canyon seemed a little easier.

Running Bommer Ridge-El Moro 9-23-2010, Elevation - Distance 

This weekend I’m planning on around 10 miles on the trails on Saturday, and another 5 or so easy miles on Sunday. I think I’ll actually break 20 miles this week…

*In case you missed it, my wife and I became empty nesters this week. We celebrated by having a date night. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. For the first time in 10 years (or so it seemed). Woo hoo!

12 comments:

  1. Hooray for date night and trails! Good you're becoming more consistent again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, that elevation chart looks like an EKG. Great run, way to get back out there.

    Congrats on date night toO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- what a drop!
    Way to go on the running and the date nights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be doing the 10 miles with you this weekend - but we will be doing it at the beach. Those trail runs look crazy! One day hills won't kill me so much. Congrats on the date nights - love to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice runs! I'm heading out to El Moro/Big Bend tomorrow so I'll look for you out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, please bring your camera when you run pretty and new trails. :-)

    Are you running Long Beach or taking a pass?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a big drop...hard on the 'ol quads. Great run, Glenn. Glad things are going a bit smoother!! Happy Weekend :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glenn,
    I hope that you have a great training weekend! You are always running those crazy and challenging routes:)

    Wow, you are now empty nesters!?! Take this time to really enjoy each other and yes, go on dates:)

    Take care Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whooo, date night! Maybe you can post something about that. lol. Just kidding. On a serious note, glad to see you are hitting the trails. Just remember to bring your camera next time ok!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work on the trail runs Glenn! I missed the empty nester post somehow, but date nights are good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, go Glenn. You are making quite the comeback here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to hear that, those are good graph!!!

    ReplyDelete