Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hoping to Get Back on Track Here…

New shoes – check. New attitude – check. Weather – WTF?!?!?!?!?!

In case you haven’t heard, the weather here in Southern California has turned on us. Summer is officially here. With a vengeance. As of September 27th. Monday was the hottest. Day. Ever. That’s right. Ever. Since records first started being kept back in the late 1880’s. 113 degrees at 12:15PM. I live at the beach – which means it should be cooler. It was. The thermometer topped out at 107. Now, folks like Adam or Slomohusky might be used to running in those temperatures out in the deserts of Phoenix and Las Vegas. But I’m not. And for folks who aren’t used to the heat, running in these temperatures can be downright dangerous. So – I took a pass.

Tuesday wasn’t much better. While is it cooler, it was still 93 degrees at 3:00PM with a lot more humidity. You see, us Southern Californians (okay - *this* Southern Californian) don’t run in this weather is because we don’t need to. We just wait a day or two when everything returns to normal – sunny 80 degree days with 15% humidity. Eat your heart out Midwesterners. And Southerners. And Southwesterners. We are weather wimps and proud of it!

Today the weather is supposed to return to something more normal. Assuming my knee cooperates (I was able to bend it more than 45 degrees yesterday – the swelling seems to be down), I’ll finally get to try out the new shoes.

20 comments:

  1. This weather has been crazy! Yesterday felt like a terrarium. Let's hope for something we're not too wimpy to run in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Glenn, this weather has been ick, I know I'm a wimp too - I hate running in the heat with the sun beating down on me; I need shade, breezes, cool air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the run today! It has been nice and cool here, we are definitely getting into fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How crazy. You are finally getting into summer and we midwesterners are finally getting into fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...113!

    At least it's a "dry heat" here in the desert southwest.

    Thankfully, we are cooling off here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to say that today is not really all that much better. Went out this morning at 7:30 hoping to beat the heat for a quick 6 miles and it was already so hot 10 mins into it. :( Hopefully it will cool down later this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, didn't we just have summer? Isn't the cool, Fall weather on the schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  8. By some miracle HB cooled down about 5 PM last night. Seems OK today, headed out to ride at lunch..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was 111 in Pasadena. Been running at 5:30 in 80-deg weather, ha ha.

    I did my 18-miler in 90-degree weather last week... you're right-- it's smart of us So. Californians to just wait it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's ok to be a wimp. Your temps are much better than mine every other day of the year! I don't blame you for resting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Take it easy, it's still sticky out!! 29%, gross!! Sorry, Midwesterners.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is a summary of my run today: it was hot, humid, cold, raining, and windy.

    It was fun running on Monday when the temperature was 106. It made yesterday's run at 90 degrees feel cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were hotter than us yesterday. We topped out around 105.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Today was a beautiful day for a run. Well, at 8:30pm it was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you and your poor knee!!

    is it more bendy this morning?!


    Sweltering in Texas,

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a weather wimp too. Ugh. Hope the heat goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah man. That sounds way to hot to be running. Plus, it's good to take a break and give your knee a little bit more of a rest. Hope you get to try out those new kicks soon. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hot as hell on Wednesday too -- especially running the ridge at Aliso/Woods. Yikes!!!! I absolutely cannot take this heat. My windows gadget shows something like 68 for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey send some of that hot ass weather my way. I need for climatization training. I think it is good not to jump into weather straight out that you are not use to. Good call Glenn on giving it a pass. Hope the weather is a little more accommodating for you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. My town here in Oregon is supposed to be 92º today. What the heck??? I want to veto this. I am NOT in favor of an end of September Summer!
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete