Monday, March 21, 2011

Time to Start Thinking About What’s Next

First off – I need to congratulate all those who braved the elements and ran the Los Angeles Marathon yesterday. The conditions were *horrible*. News reports say that hundreds were treated and a couple dozen people hospitalized for hypothermia. I never equate Southern California with hypothermia, but mix in rain, a brisk breeze, and a 26.2 mile death march, and I supposed it could happen. So – congratulations to all those who braved the elements and hit the pavement!

I’m down to the final two weeks on this little recovery plan that I’ve been executing for the last five weeks. The good news is that all physical and mental systems appear to be “Go”. This week, I’ll run three days back to back to back, and just shy of an hour on Sunday. I guess it all means that I need to start thinking about what’s next. Maybe something in the middle of June?

11 comments:

  1. The race conditions looked so rough! I agree - congratulations are in order for everyone involved with the LA Marathon yesterday. Did you end up running part of the race with your friend?

    It's good to hear that everything's getting back to normal for you running-wise. That looks like quite the race! Good luck with your runs this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read the LA times piece on the conditions and hospilization for some. tough one. i also posted on my blog the 400 pound finisher in over 11 hours. WOW!

    June? I will be in San Diego first of June for the RR. and yes i will be back to do the OC HM first of May. hope to see ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being out there, Glenn! I looked around for you, but I think I was getting a little delirious by that point. I think this was pretty much as dangerous as some of the hotter LA Marathons I've run, even worse than Pasadena Marathon 09 when it rained but didn't have this kind of wind.

    The dilemma was mostly the wind hitting the soaked body, causing cramps. Cramps = stopping = cold = hypothermia. I downplayed the degree of my condition in my blog. I was actually starting to feel tightness in my chest before some volunteers put me in a bag and gave me some banana, along with the blue lips and excessive cramping I was having. I thought I'd better hit up the medical tent at the end, but I felt better after Mile 26 and decided I just wanted to go home. The walk back to the car was along long and horrible.

    Glad to see you're coming back into it. I have nothing lined up for June, but maybe I will piggyback off of something you're doing?? How can I think about doing anymore races right now??!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are back to your running self by June too because I want that medal!! But will only sign up if you do too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops the 400 pound runner finished in over 9 hours. His previous LA Marathon was over 11.

    ReplyDelete
  6. June would be the perfect plan...yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your June race plans look like fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The conditions were fine for the marathon - except for the long walk after the finish.

    My thanks go to the volunteers and spectators!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That race looks like some good old-fashioned fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, to be a Billy Goat! Sigh. That LAM was pretty crazy just from the news, can't imagine being in that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm using the video you posted today on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete