Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Difficult Part of Starting Over

Today is day 3 of my start over as I work myself back into race shape. I'm finding the going to be difficult. Want to know why?

When you take as much time being inconsistent in training as I have the past few months, the worst part is not the weight gain that I experienced as much as the loss of cardiovascular fitness. Right now it's kind of sad to think a year ago I was *over-trained* for a marathon. These days I can barely huff and puff a mile out of my body!

So, these days the exercise is getting back into aerobic shape. The key to getting back into aerobic shape is putting in volume at a *steady pace*. And the key to a *steady pace* is running slow enough to be able to maintain that pace over several miles. It's the old adage "You need to train slower to race faster." Do you know how difficult that is?

Well, I'm finding out. Tomorrow: tricks to maintain that slow and steady pace.

15 comments:

  1. Not that I'm fast, but I have the hardest time keeping my pace down when I'm doing my long slow runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hot weather isn't helping, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it stinks but in the long term you'll be back and better than before! everyone needs a break and getting back into the swing of things is hard but the rewards are worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't look back, always look forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to be starting over also. Having been there done that and needing to do it again, I fully get what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Go Go Glenn. I have some what encountered what you went through, just in the past month or so though. It plain out sucks. The weight thing is a constant battle, so inconsistency makes it difficult. Starting over can be fun though seeing rapid change. Keep it up man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best part of starting over is that you wanted to. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah...but you'll get it back faster than it took to gain it (the endurance...not the weight) the first time! You're still in better shape than you think you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to go out and do those first few workouts after a long hiatus. Nice job working on keeping the pace steady. That's something I always struggle with. When getting back into shape, I have to remind myself that the fitness will come back and I'll feel great. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just keep putting 1 foot in front of the other. And, you'll be back in shape in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to incorporate the run-walk when I'm in this situation. Makes you run, but allows you a break - helpful when you're feeling slow and heavy and mentally breaking down.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck, Glenn! Long, really slow runs are my specialty. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Starting over is hell! But it is a blessing also, because this time, you are wiser : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. you can do it!!! you can do it!!!!

    I bow to you for being smart about taking time off! You are back!!

    ReplyDelete