Saturday, March 12, 2011

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

The L.A. Marathon is next Sunday. That means that it’s been about a year that something broke. For two years running had become a bit of a religion. 30, 40 sometimes 50 miles a week. I was at a point where I felt that I was wasting my time if I wasn’t going to run 6 miles. Then came March 21, 2010. Sitting on a curb in Brentwood hoping a golf cart would come along and whisk me in anonymity to the finish line. The 5:30 pace group happening by. Latching on and finishing under my own power with my tail between my legs. Humbled.

My plan was to return to the scene of the crime and get the monkey off my back. But, by the time I was able to get back to training, the window to be ready for L.A. 2011 had long come and gone. I was relegated to waiting another year. And we all know what happens with wounds and the passing of time…..

Fast forward. March 3, 2010. The talk on Twitter was tapering for L.A. I was sitting at my computer feeling sorry for myself in general. Then, a familiar name popped up in my gchat window:

Linda: ...how about running me through Century City? Maybe mile 17-20?”

Linda is “Ms. V” in the blogosphere and @MsV1959 on Twitter. I’ve been following her blog and tweets almost since the inception of my blogging and tweeting days. It’s been so long, I don’t even remember how I happened on her blog – Gymnotes. And even though she lives 400 miles away, whenever she’s in town she always makes an effort to include me in races or tweetups. How could I turn her down?*

So let the therapy begin. I’ll be on the course. Rodeo Drive. Century City. West Los Angeles. The Veteran’s Administration. At that point I’ll hand her off to Shiloh, who will be running her into the finish.**

Maybe it’s not the return that I had envisioned eight months ago. I won’t be able to stop and spit on the ground at mile 22 in Brentwood. But I’ll be out there rain or shine. In my running shoes. Linda – THANK YOU for asking!!!!

* Now that that is public knowledge, I’m also planning on meeting a ton of other blog/twitter friends out on the course. The list right now includes @ridgeley, @nobel4lit, @borntorun77, and @tri2thrive. There’s even a rumor that @b2squared may make an appearance.

** The only thing I can’t figure out is how a die hard Dodger’s fan could let a Giant’s fan pace her into the finish. Linda? Are you losing your mind? You should have made her pace you the first few miles. That way she would have had to set foot in Blue Heaven!

23 comments:

  1. Glenn,

    Here is a list of tweeps that I know are running the LA Marathon.

    http://twitter.com/#!/bfrein/la-marathon-2011

    Hope to see you out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't Beth and I have our twitter names linked to our timelines *she asks indignantly*?

    If you're meeting up on Rodeo, get to one of the City of BH public parking lots massively early: Beverly Dr. just below Wilshire, or see if Beverly Dr. a couple blocks above by Williams-Sonoma. Check the City of BH website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing you out there, Glenn! It'd be great if you can hand me some salt, too. Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Glenn. Give me a shout. I will be wearing a yellow singlet with black Japanese kanji.
    I am starting at the front of block B and looking to run a little over 3:00, so should be relatively near the front.
    No hair on top, a little on the sides.
    Have fun!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!

    I'm thinking of being a "tow truck" for my running club members around the 20-mile mark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe the LA Marathon is already coming around again! Time really does fly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you'll be out there. Although redemption will have to wait, at least the course will now know that it didn't destroy you. Have a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such amazing news. You will be out there after all! I hope I see you! If it doesn't rain I will be wearing a purple/blue tutu so you can't miss me.

    See you there! You are an amazing pacer, I got my last marathon PR because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even imagine having a better pacer than you Glenn... Maybe this is exactly what you need to get your mojo back in full swing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Dodgers! When I ran SF Marathon and ran around AT&T Park, I may have spit on a few certain spots around that dump.

    That's cool you were asked to pace your friend! You'll help get her through the wall. If I was lining up runners to help me, I think I'd have to have someone very strong pace me around mile 20, 21, 22, so you should be honored!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds fun! It'll be great to be back out on the course with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glkenn I think that is wonderful!! You are getting to run part of LA with Linda...you will be back! I know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "The only thing I can’t figure out is how a die hard Dodger’s fan could let a Giant’s fan pace her into the finish." << because she wants to feel the awesomeness of the Word Champions that we G's fan carry around with us! {you know I had to comment on that, right :) }

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing what a great community runners have, even if it is on the web. Yay for meet-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is depressing when you start thinking about how long you've been "set back". Keep on keeping on though. Just remember, I blew up at Boston -- super cool kid here :) At least you're not throwing yourself back to the wolves severly undertrained again. You've learned a little something!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's no one else in the world I would want to take me through the hellacious part of that course. I'm SO happy you will be with me Glenn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, the logistics of race day are impressive. I'm coordinating my race (if you can call it that) and my wife's race, along with her buddy to pace her the last 10miles, multiple cars, parking spots, 2 playlists, etc.. NASA should hire me! Anyways, I'm hoping the best for everyone! (especially me..) It's good to know I can sit on the curb, and I won't be the only one. Glen, you may recall.. your video started it all for me. I'm coming up on 1 year running... hard to believe. Thanks Glen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope to see you on the course, Glenn. I don't run very quickly so I will probably be around after your pacing duties.

    Look for me - the slow run/walk/runner with the Raodrunners shirt and white hat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stop by the Sole Runner aid station at Mile 18!

    Good luck, Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh Glen, that sounds like the perfect fix for you, I think you're going to have so much fun doing it and that marathon fever is going to kick in push your drive button! Have a blast!!!

    Oh, and was just reading about the earthquakes above. I just can't imagine. I majored in geology in college and was fascinated with them. At one point we had an opportunity to move to Riverside, but I just freaked with the impending danger of those things. Now, I'd move there (well, not Riverside, but closer to the ocean) in a heartbeat...yet the China disaster has made me really ponder that thought once again.

    ReplyDelete