Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Four Mile Monday

Does that title sound familiar? I was able to get things rolling yesterday. Finally. Got four miles in on the bluff above the ocean at Crystal Cove. Overall pace was a little slow (10:15) but included a bathroom break. Heart rate was right on at 80% MHR. As usual, the views were fantastic the whole run!

After my run, I stopped for a while, coughed up a lung, and then made it to the gym for some stretching and core work. The core workout I've adopted was the one in this month's Runner's World magazine. If you are interested, the workout is here.

This morning my lower abs are *sore*! But it was good to get out again. Today will be an easy six miler around the Upper Back Bay.

Finally - I want to thank all that have sent their get well wishes. The Running Gods have not been nice since about the middle of December. The last good run that I got in without pain was right after Thanksgiving. Right now I'm still trying to shake this cold, my lower abs are screaming, and my right groin is a little sore. I am *happy* that I have decided to not try for a spring marathon. I think I need to just put in some slow and steady miles and strengthen everything up a little!

Here's my plan for the rest of this week:
  • Today: 6 miles easy
  • Wednesday: 4 miles easy
  • Thursday: 6 miles easy
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 12 miles easy
  • Sunday: 4 miles recovery

That will put me at 36 this week. I'm going to be like the tortoise - slow and easy....

5 comments:

  1. Good plan Glen! :) Glad you didn't overexert yourself either, that would have been a big bummer, but also glad you are feeling better now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like a good plan. Thanks for the link to the core work plan, I might just try it. I've been meaning to get in the habit of doing more core-work, not to mention upper body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice plan. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow and steady is a good thing, Glenn! Take good care of yourself so you get back on track. Continued success with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you had a good run and are feeling better. nothing wrong with slow and steady! :)

    ReplyDelete