Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Garmin is dead!

Well, not actually - it does work, but it can't communicate with anything. It all started a couple of weeks ago after a run. I started getting "USB Device Not Recognized" errors on my computer. The problem seemed to solve by just reseating the device on it's little cradle, so I didn't think much of it. A few days later though, just reseating the device did not take care of the issue. No problem I thought - I'll just reinstall the software (I use a Vista computer, so naturally I blame Microsoft for all of my software problems). I reinstalled Garmin Training Center and the USB drivers. Everything seemed to work again so I was happy!

But, after my Thursday run last week, I tried to upload watch data, and I received an error message. I spend a few hours trying to uninstall and reinstall software to no avail. I finally gave up and contacted Garmin on Friday. They indicated that there could be a hardware problem. This of course was from their software support people.They sent me a list of a few more things to try. Well, I tried them all, and I still can't communicate with my device. I'm now waiting for an RMA from Garmin so that I can return it for repair.

One word of advice for anyone with a Garmin Forerunner - hang onto that receipt! That is your proof of purchase. As it is, I'll need to pay $99 to get mine fixed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment