It's hard to believe that we are already in the first week of March! Wow! That means it's time to put the wrap on February and look forward to this month.
Bottom line is February went out like a lamb. Part of it was a little too much racing - three races this past month - Surf City Half on the 7th, WTRS 21K Trail race on the 20th, and the Firecracker 10K this past Sunday. With all the mini-tapering that went on, that definitely put the kibosh on serious mileage:
- Week ending 2/7: 28 running, 9 rowing - 37 total
- Week ending 2/14: 41 running, 10 rowing - 51 total
- Week ending 2/21: 29 running, 9 rowing - 38 total
- Week ending 2/28: 23 running, 5 rowing - 28 total
- Total: 121 running, 33 rowing - 154 total
That's about 25 to 30 miles short of plan when I started the month. Oh well. Consistency is really the name of the game. Or so I convince myself that it is.
And now? Nervous time begins! The L.A. Marathon is less than 3 weeks away. Gulp! That means that I start taper this week. I'm going to forgo the rowing machine for the next few weeks and put my mileage in on the roads and trails. For this week:
- Monday: Scheduled rest.
- Tuesday: 8 general aerobic miles
- Wednesday: 6 general aerobic miles. Stretch and core workout.
- Thursday: Hill repeats. 6 miles total including 6 hill repeats.
- Friday: Scheduled rest.
- Saturday: 12 miles general aerobic.
- Sunday: 4 miles general aerobic. Stretch and core workout
- Total plan: 36 miles
This time around I am committed to not showing up at the start line tired. So while this week's schedule is a medium effort for me, next week and the week after will be rather pedestrian - 25 miles next week, and 8 miles (plus the marathon) the following week. My challenge will be to not *eat* like I'm still running 40 miles.....