Friday, March 26, 2010

What Now?

Okay. So that’s over. What’s next?

I need to say – the awesomeness that was finishing the L.A. Marathon hasn’t worn off yet. Neither have some of the pains. I went out for a quick and easy 3 miler last night and managed to strain a muscle in my back. Go figure. I can hack 5 and a half hours of beating myself up, but 200 feet from finishing up three easy miles, I land weird on my heel and wham! Oh well. At least the pain is localized to one area on my back and is feeling much better than it was last night. I’ll just add Motrin to my diet.

As far as “What Now?” – for the short term I’ll be on a marathon recovery plan to get my mileage back into the mid to upper 30’s. This week is pretty pedestrian:

  • Monday: Rest
  • Tuesday: Rest
  • Wednesday: Rest
  • Thursday: 3 miles easy
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 6 miles easy
  • Sunday: 30 minute tempo
  • Total: 12 miles (or there abouts)

I’m kind of looking forward to getting back to a more “normal” life for a while:

It’s also time to get serious about one of my other goals – dropping 30 pounds. I hate to say this, but I just finished a marathon training cycle – 536 miles on the pavement and 82 miles on the rowing machine, and dropped a total of 4 (count ‘em) pounds.That really means that I need to attack the intake side of the equation. Dang.

One thing for sure – I’m over marathons for a while*….

*Note: Ms. V and I have decided that we’re going to be the baby boomer equivalents of LARunner and Chicrunner at next year’s L.A. Marathon. If you haven’t already done so, you NEED to go read their blogs. My experience pales in comparison. Ms. V had to tell the paramedics to sod off when they pulled the stretcher out for her. Linda – they were going to give you a free ride! And Chicrunner is always full of bubbly smiles. Well – I’ve never seen so many forced smiles on your face Danica! Ever. So – come join us! Next March. Through the streets of L.A.! We’ve got scores to settle…..

9 comments:

  1. Are you going to change your name when you become The Running Fat Guy sans 30 pounds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's weird and counterintuitive that I've learned is that marathon training has the opposite effect of losing weight and being lean. You actually don't need that much cardio to lose fat. In fact, marathon training always seems to cause me to put on a couple of pounds because of all the carbs I eat in order fuel my runs.

    Yeah, I can talk about this all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well have fun resting, and ease right back into running when the time comes! Are you doing Long Beach in Oct? It will be my first fULL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I haven't lost any weight in the last six months, either. Isn't it weird?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me until after the third marathon (or three years) to figure out how NOT to gain weight while marathon training. I guess thinking I could eat just about anything after burning off 2000 calories wasn't the best plan.

    What are your next race plans, if any? Any more halves?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment on my blog.
    Your post about the marathon is much more interesting than mine. How did I forget the drag queen cheerleaders? Love your dancers, too.
    Yeah, losing weight is about the diet. No snacks, no fried foods, no (well hardly any) desserts. If you're already doing that...you may have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have a post marathon plan there. Hope your back feels better (gets better) 30 pounds huh? I want to lose another 20. Hey, how would you feel about removing apple fritters from your diet? lol. For me its the intake thing too. I am hoping to do the LA marathon before I take off to the PH. Hope to see you there some day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I noticed that too - when danica isn't happy you KNOW that it can't be a good race day.

    Next year, I'll be waiting for the kick-ass race report.

    ReplyDelete
  9. at least i finished! that's all i cared about ha ha. Forced smiles or not. :)

    ReplyDelete