Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year. New Goals. New Results?

As mentioned yesterday, it's time to bare my soul and layout my goals and aspirations for all to see. Besides, it keeps me honest and accountable. Normally, this is the point that I tell you how many marathons I'll run and how many miles I'm squeezing in this year. But, I'm going to throw a little change up here. No. I'm not going to stop running. But I am planning on running less.

First, some of you have told me I need to change the title of my blog. As much as I'd like to, I feel that I'm still a bit on the large side. Yes - I've managed to drop a lot of weight over the last two and a half years. As of today, I'm at 216 pounds. Yes - a far cry from the 260 I was at when I started this whole thing, but it's still 4 pounds more that I was at in October for the Long Beach Marathon. And at 5' 11", 216 is still too much to be carrying on my frame. So, here's goal #1:
  • Drop 30 pounds and change the name of my blog by 12/31/2010
To do this I'm going to need to start to carefully watch my intake. Which includes starting to judiciously measure portions. Some eat because they run. I run because I eat.

Love2Mags suggested something that is intriguing: 2010 in 2010. Mags - you had me thinking for a while. I mean really thinking. That one is almost too good to pass up. But, instead I really need to spend time working on some jiggly parts - core and abs. I can (a) spend time in the gym, or (b) spend time on my rowing machine. Ummm, (b) wins. I can combine some core and ab work with a great cardio workout. I'd like to row one to two days a week, and spend three to four days a week in my running shoes. So, goal #2 translates to:
  • Run 1250 miles and row 500,000 meters (310 miles). That works out to an average of 25 miles run and 10 kilometers rowed per week.

I'll be reducing the days and miles run and starting up on the ergometer. Not quite sure what I'll be blogging about on rowing days. The color of the walls in my garage? Who knows. My son still has a Hudson single scull in the boathouse. Maybe I'll venture out on the water when it warms up.


I learned early on that training for a marathon and losing weight are mutually exclusive. Limiting caloric intake makes it tough to effectively train. So, the LA. Marathon will be my last this year. But, the weight loss should make for a little more quickness. In lieu of a marathon goal this year, goal #3 is:

  • PR at 5K, 10K and Half Marathon distances

Once March passes, I'll start to race more and be more serious about shorter distances. Puke threshold? I guess I'll find out.

And finally, I really need to:

  • KEEP IT FUN!!!!

I learned last year what happens if things start going sideways. This year I reserve the right to change up on the fly. If things becoming drudgery, I'll mix in some new stuff. Fresh = Fun.

So there you go. Keep me honest folks! I'm counting on it!

On the platter this morning: 16 miles. Uff.

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant goals Glenn! Working rowing/core into your workout will really enhance your overall performance too! I've always been a believer in "you can do anything you set your mind to", and I know you can reach all your 2010 goals! Good luck and keep having fun with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use your biggest mixing bowl, fill it with dark leaf lettuce and whatever other veg you like, plus 2-3oz of cheese or chicken or beans or whatever protein you like. Use seasoned rice vinegar for dressing. You will be ung-dly stuffed, but lose weigh quite nicely. Have that for dinner 3x per week.

    And have fun, or none of this is worth anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My biggest struggle is keeping it fun. That's also my go for this year. Good luck and let us know how you switch it up if you get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Weight Watchers...it has worked for my wife and I. Portion control is the name of the game.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmmm rowing machine? There's one of those at my gym.

    Awesome goals Glenn...now you get to think about the new blog name :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job on your 2009 and good luck on 2010. I think your 4th goal is the key to your 2nd and 3rd goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice thoughts, especially "Keep it fun!" I have resolved to try rowing, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good goals Glenn. Keeping it fun...VERY key!

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent goals glenn! doesn't sound like you are really cutting out much - still running and erging and just adding food-intake! hopefully you'll find a good balance soon and coast through the year with many successes :)

    ok, unrelated question. i see the title of your post is "new year. new goals..." but the http address seems to think the post was titled "shooting for stars is aught ten"? (runningfatguy.blogspot.com/2010/01/shooting...) how did you do that? just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. turning up the SPEED, eh? You're speaking my language here. Way to switch things up a bit. Maybe you'll inspire others to bust a rowing-move. :)

    ReplyDelete