Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Wardrobe Update

I'm enjoying some payback for two years of hard work. You see, a certain someone turned a year older this week. My wife decided to celebrate by replacing a bunch of pants that, when I wore, looked like I had dropped a load in. For a while now, I've been cinching my belt to keep from showing too much plumber cleavage. A couple weeks ago I noticed that I could actually get into and out of my favorite jeans without unsnapping them. So as of today, I'm in pants that are 4 inches smaller in the waist. And I can snap them without having to suck in.

Speaking of hard work, yesterday's run was just that. Twelve miles were on the plan. The first six miles were wonderful - almost dreamlike. I was keeping a conversational, easy pace at 9:50. Honestly, I was barely breaking a sweat. I got to the turnaround point, took some calories (Clif Blueberry Crisp bar) and started back to CDM. About mile 8, things started hurting. By mile 10 I had to slow down. My heart rate was fine, but I was sweating up a storm and had pain in my quads like I was at mile 20. Not quite sure why. My cold? Overheating (I was wearing an Underarmour long sleeved tee)? I wrapped it up by slowly hobbling the last couple of miles. Then, about noon I went down for a 2 hour nap, was back in bed by 9 PM last night, and slept straight though until 6 this morning. My body is obviously trying to tell me something.

Today I'll be out for nine miles at race pace.Which reminds me, I need to revisit my current pace on the Garmin.....

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations and happy birthday!! What a nice way to celebrate.

    Sorry about your run yesterday. I am sure it was that cold shutting your body down. Let it heal. If you feel crappy today, reschedule your pace run.

    Enjoy the nice weather while it lasts though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzie, 4" smaller is incredible! Way to conquer that feat!! Hope you have a greaaaat run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo!!! Gotta love loose pants! The same thing happened to me this past week too-and I haven't run as much as you Mr mileage!!

    I hope you had a fantastic birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Glenn! Nice pants story, you're back in your hot jeans, awesome!
    That would be FUN if you could drive down on Sunday! The marathon starts early and there is a lot of parking at the mall at that hour! A little more challenging for the half(parking wise)!
    Go Chargers, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have been working hard for the last two years.

    Sounds like that cold is still lingering. Hope you get over it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you got some rest. Kudos to you indeed for the smaller pants size! Doesn't that feel amazing???

    As far as the pace thing, I got your comment and I really just tried to reel it in for the first 10 miles yesterday. It seemed to work b/c I ran negative splits on the second 10 miles. It's just a matter of finding the "new" long run pace. Looks like you are finding yours though!

    Hapy birthday Running (former) Fat Guy! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday! you are definitely not that fat guy anymore. getting out of your jeans w/o undoing them? i could do that if i got the ever attractive elastic-waist ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been inspiring following the last year (or so) of your journey. You've come a long way and the new wardrobe is proof of that. Keep at it and you'll be keeping that whole aging thing at bay too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome about the clothes, Glenn! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!

    It sounds like a wardrobe update was in order!

    Sorry about the rough run yesterday. Hopefully you'll be back in full health soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Glenn! My bfs mom has lost about 50 pounds and she has had to get all new clothes. It really is satisfying when you accomplish something like that! Keep on running!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice way to celebrate a birthday! That's a really impressive loss, Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great gift to yourself: a healthier lifestyle and a healthier YOU. :D

    ReplyDelete