Friday, January 29, 2010

Who's Paying Attention?

Last night I got an easy six miles in right that finished up just as the sun dipped below the horizon.


That's the way sunset *should* look for all us weather wimps in Southern California.

On the running front, I think I'm fighting a little calf strain. It feels like I have a cramp in my left calf that never releases. It started during my run on Tuesday, and was quite uncomfortable about mile 5 last night. Today is a row day (I took Wednesday off), and I'll need to make a decision tomorrow morning whether I trust it on the scheduled 16 miler. I should play it safe. Face it - I've been running pretty consistently for well over a year, and a few missed runs isn't going to break me. Plus, if I do this right, I'm pretty confident of a PR at Surf City in a couple weeks. But it's also a 50 mile week, and there's something about being able to put that on my list of accomplishments that's pretty rewarding. Decisions decisions.

Oh the run? Six miles around the Upper Back Bay. Pace was 9:16 at an average heart rate of 79% of max. And I did get my stretching and core workout done. But with a sunset like that, who's paying attention?

14 comments:

  1. Great Pic Glenn. Hope your leg can mend itself. Take it Cautiously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the long run this weekend Glenn. I hope you can get it in, but if not, it happens! Be safe out there and enjoy the nice weather we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww the sunset - I havent seen the sun in days! lol Hope the calf feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture! I hope your calf relaxes in time for the long run, but if not you'll still be in a great place come race day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you see my tweet about how that picture made me cry a little. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenn,
    I love your picture, it is beautiful:) I am a sucker for sunsets! Sorry to hear about your calf, remember to take care of it. Good luck on your 16 miler and have a great weekend Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on the cramping.

    i hope you get to experience more beautiful weather in your runs like that in the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried the compression sleeves for your calves yet, like Zensah? Those helped me when I had that bad calf strain right before LVRNR HM.

    We have some of the best sunsets. I'm glad you were able to capture it just right. :) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Glenn! Try some arnica gel on the calf. It might help repair any damage in there. Gorgeous pic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't fall victim to the numbers game if you sense an injury approaching! And be sure to stretch that calf throughout the day after it's warmed up. That should help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing this picture. i don't remember what the sun looks like :(

    hope your calf is feeling better. you know there wouldn't be anything wrong with shifting the sched around on that 16 miler. better to "slack" this week than end up with a strain for the next 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Glenn, I just looked up your bib number which you can do at Surf City website. I will look for you. I should be at the race early. For some reason I always am. However, this time I will be there early to cheer on my Sister and two nephews at the start of the Full. This will be the best way to meet up. I have no idea when we will be in there area? Late Friday, Early evening Friday, or Saturday sometime. Depends on my wife's schedule end of the week. Anyway, I have a good what you like, and I have your number. Just hope it doesn't rain!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah Glenn - I met to say at the end of the last comment - I have a good idea of what you look like. Not what you like. I am still laughing at that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What race are you doing at Surf City? Better to be healed up for that.

    ReplyDelete