Saturday, January 30, 2010

We'll Try Tomorrow

Thanks to all who helped me with my decision. There's no pain in my calf when I'm walking around, but yesterday I could definitely feel tightness going up the stairs in my building. I think Anne at Run DMZ put it best: "Don't fall victim to the numbers game if you sense an injury approaching!" The numbers game was the toughest part of the decision. For me, a fifty mile week is a big deal. I really struggled when it came to the 50 mile weeks during my last training cycle for Long Beach. This time, not so much. Last week, with the exception of the last two or three miles of my 20 miler, 48 was not that difficult. I was looking forward to 50 plus this week. Instead, I gave my calf yesterday off, and have canceled today's 16 miler. Everything is feeling pretty good today, so I'll try to cap the week off with something around 9 or 10 miles tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Bottom line is I want to make sure I'm okay for my Half Marathon next Sunday.

On another front, the Injinjis are treating me well. I used them on my last run (Thursday's six miles) and I have no major complaints about them. I want to wear them on one long run (probably next week's Half Marathon, and then I'll file my complete review. My teaser for now though can be summed up this way: "What socks?"

14 comments:

  1. That really seems wise. It can be easy to get compulsive, though. Glad to hear you like the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anne, you have plenty of fitness to take a break from one long one. I actually think that by next Saturday, you'll be feeling frisky and itching to race! There will be no holding you back, you'll be so refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. best to be careful. Good luck in the HM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should be as wise as you.

    There's a great article in this month's Runner's World about injury. #2 rule is that when it hurts, back off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seems like a great decision. I hope your calf is already responding to the rest.

    Great teaser for your sock review! That's how I like my socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's the kind of mention I like to see :-).

    I met the guy who owns injinji awhile back. The socks have taken off since then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good decision!

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. We've owned two other Hondas, both Accords, and we kept those babies for YEARS. One was even in an accident, was put back together and we used it to its full potential. It was a sad day when we decided to donate it, but it was done.

    Ininji socks have treated me well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glenn,
    It seems like you have it all figured out and know exactly what you need to do:) Good luck with your run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn aches, pains and injuries! Always getting in the way of a peak mileage week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. woo hoo Surf City baby! I'm glad you are resting!!! That is the best thing for you!! Take it from someone who needs more rest and takes every minute of it she can get!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As they say, discretion is the better part of valor (I should practice that myself).

    Looking at your paces, you definitely are in line for a PB in your half. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea Glenn! I know you would have given me the same advice about taking some rest if I feel an injury coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you made a wise choice, Glenn! I have to believe you are at a really good fitness level right now to take a break like that just to ensure everything is OK and rest up a little bit. Glad to hear the socks are working so well, too! I might have to find a pair of those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so hard not to get caught up in the numbers game, I fall victim to this all the time, but you are wise to take a break when the bod needs it so as not to get injured. Time to taper here so you'll be ready to run next week with fresh legs!

    ReplyDelete