Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Measuring Progress

I'm sitting here this morning - one tired puppy. Yesterday's scratchy throat has turned into a full blown head cold. Sinuses burning and congested, head all cloudy and stuffed. And my body is all sore and achy. Oh, wait a minute. That last part isn't my cold. It's the g.d. workout that I tried to pull off Tuesday night!

Yesterday's workout was a 10 mile tempo run. One and a quarter mile warm up, 7 and a half miles in that "uncomfortable" pace zone, one and quarter mile warm down. I knocked out the middle 7 and a half in an 8:50 pace. I really faded in the last half mile as my cold took hold and turned me into the loogey man. A real ball buster workout. If the pain in my legs and lower body is any indication, then there were plenty of hydrogen ions released!

It used to be improvement was large and tangible. Distances that I hadn't hit before. Paces that were light years faster. These days, improvement is measured is much smaller increments. A lot of improvement these days are up in the brain, and not so much in my feet. Like last night - just the thought of hitting that distance at that pace had me higher than a kite. In fact, the brain was working so well that I had *nothing* left for my warm down. It was a struggle to bring that last mile in at 11:45. My point? Patience grasshopper (I know I'm aging myself with that saying). Not everything for us enthusiasts is measured in minutes and seconds.

I'm back on my ergometer (rowing machine) this evening. Looks like the workout is (drumroll).....

"Row for a total of 5000 meters at a sustainable intensity, varying your stroke rate as follows: row 1000 meters @ 25 spm, 1000 meters @ 22 spm, 1000 meters @ 25 spm, 1000 meters @ 28 spm, and 1000 meters @ 25 spm."

(Getting that sinking feeling...)

8 comments:

  1. I was sending you good tempo run vibes while I was pounding out the miles on the t'mill. WAY TO GO! I've started giving up on the cooldowns, I HATED them especially after running so hard that last tempo mile. Now I just walk til my heartrate has come down and call it good. I can't imagine doing a 10 miler tempo. That's insane (in a good runner way!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice workout! Getting the brain on board is sometimes such a challenge, but it is a major accomplishment when we get it right. You always provide great food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep much and drink lots of OJ! Don't give up on exercise while you're sick as long as the cold hasn't traveled into your chest. I find that running helps clear out the head colds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, not you, too! I hope it's a short lived cold...

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn, I'm so sorry! I didn't think anything could keep you down!! Rest up and drink lots of water! We need your inspiration and you need to RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope you are feeling better glenn!

    nice job on the tempo run. they can be beastly, but sometimes they can also surprise you. while this one was tougher, you powered through it and will be stronger for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This training will pay off for you Glenn! I know you can do it in training and come marathon day you are going to rock!

    ReplyDelete