So now that my race day plan is in place, it’s time to remember to do all the little things the day before and the morning of the event. These are the things that, if forgotten will leave me a little stress puppy.
Day Before the “Big Day”
Only three things to do on Saturday:
- Stay off my feet as much as possible
- Check to make sure I have adequate supply of Hammer Gels (9) and Endurolyte caps (27). If not, hit up the Nutrition Superstore in Costa Mesa.
- Head over to Dodger Stadium for packet pickup around noon.
- Grab lunch/dinner in Chinatown. Mmmm. A big plate of lo mein sure sounds good!
Then Saturday evening:
- Prepare my Gel/Endurolyte packets. Put the Espresso packets in my Nathan belt. Put others in my Spibelt.
- Program the parking lot I’ve purchased parking in in Santa Monica into my GPS.
- Charge camera
- Charge cell phone
- Transfer important things to the gear bag provided at the expo.
- Lay out clothing, socks, shoes. Make sure I have hat (supposed to be sunny and in the 70’s on Sunday), sunglasses.
- Pack change of clothes. Nothing worse than cold wet clothes.
- Set alarm for 2:30. AM. Jeesh.
- Hit the sack. Hopefully sometime around 10 PM. Toss and turn all night.
The BIG DAY!!!!
- Up at 2:30. AM. Jeesh.
- Grab a cup of coffee (as large as possible). Thinking Super Big Gulp size here.
- Make a bagel with cream cheese. Put it in my bag for consumption later.
- Get dressed and grab gear bag. Be out the door no later than 3:00 AM.
- Drive up the freeway to Santa Monica.
- Fire up the GPS and get to parking lot. Should be somewhere around 4:15 to 4:30 AM.
- Get in line for shuttle bus by 4:45 AM. Get on shuttle to Blue Heaven at 5:00 AM
- Get to Blue Heaven around 5:45 AM. This gives me about an hour before I start execution of my start line plan.
- Eat bagel. Drink water. Take three Endurolytes.
- Execute start line plan.
- Execute race plan.
Wahoo!!!! If half of these things don’t go as planned this weekend I still can’t help but have fun!
On a related note – I want to thank everyone for all of your comments and tips. I’ll address a bunch of them tomorrow. Tea Time – tune in – I’ll give you an idea on how to deal with those gels and Endurolyte caps!