Saturday, October 16, 2010

Decision Time

So – I’ve taken the week off and have managed to sit around on my ever expanding derriere (and it *has* been expanding). Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement this past week. I realize when I look back at the picture, my knee looks worse than it really is. Some of that swelling is actually left over from a high school injury. But – it felt every bit as bad as the photo looked.

My knee is responding, but a lot slower than I had hoped. I’ve stayed off it this week. No running, no exercise since my last trail run.  The swelling is down, I’m able to bend it, and there’s no pain. But, there still is a little discomfort.

Which brings me to my decision. Sunday. Long Beach Half Marathon. I’ve been hemming and hawing all week. Some decisions are simple. This will *definitely not* be an “A” race. Which is a little sad. Last year this time I had just come off a successful Pfitz 18/55 training cycle on my way to a successful marathon. This year not so much.

The tough decision though, is the “go/no go” decision. Should I even be out there on Sunday morning? Am I risking a lengthier recovery by aggravating my knee? Am I too cheap to let the registration I paid for go?  Well – the way I see it, since the answer to the third question is yes, the answer to the first question is a definite yes, and the answer to the second is probably yes. But the decision is made. Long Beach here I come!

8 comments:

  1. Listen to your body while you're out there. Killing yourself to cross the finish line isn't worth it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just take it easy. But I'd be on the line too if it was me so I feel you. Oh and BTW, meth labs. Classic. I laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the "this year not so much" problem, too. Hoping the race goes great, Glenn!! Will be thinking and cheering for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better; take it easy out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a good time, Glenn! And be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've been busy reminiscing on those old school photos, which were classic. i think all of us hard-headed runners make decisions like the one you wrote out here. except i have a hard time believing your cheap with your mcmansion ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay optimistic and be patient. No exercise. It is going to be ok, just keep faith.

    ReplyDelete