Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cautiously Optimistic

Week one is in the books. My knee seems to be recovering/recovered. I have full range of motion and no pain. So far so good. I got in one less day of workout than I was hoping for, but ended up putting in somewhere around 15 miles -  12 rowing, 3 running.

One thing that I realized last week is that the reason that I had Mondays and Fridays off when I was into heavy training is that it fit well into my life schedule. So, this week, I’ll fall back into that schedule:

  • Monday: Scheduled rest
  • Tuesday: Row. 4 to 6 miles depending on the daily workout from the Concept2 website
  • Wednesday: Run 3 to 4 miles. Most likely on the road in the back bay
  • Thursday: Row. See Tuesday.
  • Friday: Scheduled rest
  • Saturday: Run 3 to 4 miles. Should I try the trails? I’m a tad hesitant since I’m not 100% confident that I won’t aggravate my knee on the uneven surface.
  • Sunday: Row. See Tuesday and Thursday.
  • This should put me somewhere around 18 to 20 miles. If I can hold this up for another week or two, there might be hope after all.

The hope I’m talking about of course is my race schedule. At this point, a Turkey Day 10K is pretty much out of the question. I’m hoping to be able to keep my appointment with destiny in mid December.

13 comments:

  1. love this post.. it's been weighing on my mind lately. I'm now with Sole Runners, but they seem to primarily have 1 long run on Sat. I was thinking my body seems to only be able to handle 1 med-longish run a week, and another short-med run mid-week. This looks like your program. Are you doing this all the way up to LAM? Or is this just your warm-up? I'm wondering if I can adequately train for LAM with just 1 long and 1 med run a week, and fill-in XT the other days (row, swim, bike, kettlebells, core). Advice Yoda?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great plan! Of course I advocate trails, not sure they were the source of the knee issues,but...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need my levels of enthusiasm to help you work through this! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can too Glenn. Don't over do it and you should be good to go. I take my rest days on Friday too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fridays are my rest days as well and its perfect b/c usually the wknd is hard training.

    Take care of your knee and just listen to your body as it has all the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I take it you won't want my ultra bib next weekend either ;)

    Take the miles and sweat however they come! By the time your knee gets it's act together you will be anxious to run "for real" again. Enjoy the laid-back-ness in the meantime, and reap the rewards of erging/XT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, Mondays and Fridays. It's psychological. I can bike to work, because I have to get to work one way or another, but stand alone exercise, not likely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take what you can Glenn - run, walk, row, ride - you never know, with all the rowing you might get into some multisport/adventure type outings??? Take it as it comes to you and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy you have recovered. Keep your destiny as number one....

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great that your knee is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good News about the knee. The Dana Point 10k Turkey Trot is so unorganized anyway, I am seriously considering skipping it too. Good luck with the workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hip Hip hooray for your knee man. That is awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Purchasing shoes for running and jogging should be done with consideration. Foot health is vital for anyone that is very active such as an avid runner or jogger. Finding the correct shoes that will properly support the feet takes through consideration. While there are a number of shoes that are available on the market not all of them are the same and not all of them are of high quality. To ger more information on good quality running and jogging shoes please visit http://www.goodrunningshoesguide.com/new-balance-1123

    ReplyDelete