Saturday, February 16, 2008

First week done!

Okay - my first week of Marathon training is done. Today's "long" run was a three miler. I've managed to keep myself in decent shape, so three miles isn't really a challenge. I aired things out a little and ran faster than my 10 minute LSD mile. I managed a 9:30 pace, but that was primarily because the way back was uphill. I was at 13:20 at the half way point, a little better than a 9:00 mile, so overall I was pleased.

Looking back at the week, this was a pretty light week. I ran a total of 14 miles, plus a little over 12 miles on the erg. The only injury to speak of are some blisters on my left heel. With all the running that I've been doing, I end up with blisters from rowing. Go figure.

The best part of this week has been the dropping of a couple of pounds! Yes - I've officially dropped back below 230 lbs. The weight loss thing is the toughest for me. When I first started excercising a year or so ago, 40 lbs came off pretty easy. Of those 40, 20 came off just be being active again. Then, I had to work real hard to shed the extra 20. I was working out a lot - burning 1000 calories per rowing workout. Obviously there was something that I wasn't doing right. Of course, what I wasn't doing right was balancing the calories. From my research, I found out that weight loss is really pretty simple - more calories out than calories in and the weight comes off. That meant that I was going to need to start calorie counting. Now - calorie counting is pretty simple right? I'll get into that answer tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment