Thursday, January 3, 2013

Taking Off on the Right Foot

Or actually, both feet. The plan was for 3 miles. Instead I got in 3.8. It’s a long story, but I get to blame my daughter. On her exit from Southern California to Boston, we opted to rid ourselves of a car. Now that she’s home for the holidays, well, we’re one car short. Since I’m working out of my home office this week, I gave my keys to my son (he’s a responsible driver) so he could go to work (he’s currently working in an Engineering lab at UC Irvine doing research on something to do with fracking).

I forgot one thing before giving my keys away. I have a problem that a lot of men my age would like to have – a full head of coarse hair. Which means that it has to be sheared back every so often. Yesterday was the day. But without a car, I was going to have to use foot power to get myself to the barbershop. Yikes! I thought that was only the fodder of stories that we told our grandkids! I waited for the snow to arrive, but it never did, so I laced up my shoes and hit the road. The trip there was 2.4 miles. I decided to cheat and cut through a golf course to trim the trip home to 1.4 miles. Fore!

“You know kiddos, when I was young, I had to *walk* to the barber shop. And it wasn’t just that, I had to dodge the tee box at the 12th hole on my way home!”

Calorie budget:

  • Goal: 1780
  • Food: 2207
  • Exercise: 536
  • Too few/(too many): 106

6 comments:

  1. Good job!! Sorry you have to be chauffeur...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter needs to come visit more often and take your car I guess :). Great job on the run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... I tried to use the walking in the snow story but my kids said, "that's not working Dad, we know you grew up in Hawaii".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to buy a fixie with a basket for those local errands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you didn't wait it out for the snow...you'd never get that cut!
    We went up to Crystal Cove in December and I raced the Xterra! I thought of you at the finish line, what a GORGEOUS race! Tomorrow we head off to Boney Mountain, have you done that one?
    Happy New Year and good luck with your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work Glenn! Hope your car was returned in one piece ;)

    ReplyDelete