Sunday, July 26, 2009

20 Miler - Check

First - I want to take a moment and congratulate all of my fellow blog peeps who finished the San Francisco Half/Full marathon today! Way to go chicrunner, Planet Ynnep Running, L.A. Runner and Fit Life SF!

On the running front - I finished my first 20 miler on this training cycle yesterday. This was only my second ever. Woo hoo! It really wasn;t a bad as I thought it was going to be. I took it slow and easy and tried to stay comfortable. Final stats - 20 miles in 3:52 and change and an average heart rate of 75% of max. I don't care what you try to tell me - 20 miles is a long way. Being out in the sun for nearly 4 hours is a whole worout on its own. I am in awe of those folks that I read that are doing their 20 mile runs in 3 hours or less. That is friggin' amazing!

I took a little break Friday night and went to the Orange County Fair for a concert and some good down home fair food. My youngest son wanted to go to a concert, so we shelled out $20 a ticket and saw "X". How could we go wrong? This is a band that was popular back when I was in college in the late 70's and early 80's! It was strange seeing a bunch of grey haired people in punk garb! But it was a great show! Who would have thought that a bunch of 60 year olds on stage could still shell out the punk!

Sorry for the bad quality - this was video'd from my iPhone:


But -the best was yet to come! After the concert we roamed the pathways for Fair Food! Yummy! I pigged out on a good old fashioned funnel cake and a deep fried twinkie! Call it carb loading for Saturday morning! Mmmmm!

12 comments:

  1. Way to go with the 20 miler, Glenn! That is awesome. It sounds like your training is going exceptionally well. Keep it up!

    Mmmmm...funnel cake. Funnel cakes rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, X was a part of the college years for us, too, along with KROQ... We lived in Upland at the time.

    Memories... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved X!

    How fun to see them -- also congrats on your 20-miler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo on the 20 miler. That is awesome!!! Glad that you got to unwind @ the OC County Fair. I love fairs and me and my husband try to go to the state fair every year. We love to pig out on all the fried foods. I agree, call it carb loading for the run! heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Funnel cake and deep fried Twinkie. You're making me so hungry and I just had dinner! Congrats on the 20 miler. It truly is an accomplishment of which you can be proud no matter how you slice it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh funnel cake!!! yo quiero! yum yum.

    nice job on the 20! who in their right mind would tell you 20 was 'no big deal'? good lord. 20 milers are what separate the men from the boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo1 20 miler!!! That is awesome Glenn. And LOVE the idea of funnel cake for carbo loading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, now I know we have two more things in common (other than the toes, I mean): X and Funnel Cakes! I was very proud the other day when I was smack dab right in front of an elephant ear booth at a local festival, yet delayed my gratification until TOMORROW for a funnel cake...yummmy!
    And I'm confused...wouldn't this be your third 20 miles - the first one during your first mara training and the second during your marathon?? Great job, Glenn - you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS:

    WOOOOHOOOO

    for the 20 miler!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible, 20 M is a Long way indeed. Very good job.

    Taking a break is always a good plan. Having a good time with family is the best thing there is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the 20 miler went so well. 4 hours is a long time to be outside running!

    That funnel cake looks delish! Its 730am and I could totally go for one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for giving in and getting a funnel cake. YUM. And I've always wanted to try a deep fried twinkie. Great job on the 20 miler. WOW!

    ReplyDelete