Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Slower I Went, the Faster it Got

I had a very interesting problem yesterday - one that I don't think I've seen before. I was out for a five mile recovery run. I have my Garmin programmed to chirp me if my heart rate leaves "Zone 2" (65% to 75% of max heart rate) when on a recovery workout. Normally, when I hear the chirp, I'll slow down and I'll hear another chirp letting me know my heart rate has dropped back into the desired range. Well, yesterday I had trouble with that second chirp.

The run started out fine. Mile 1 in 9:45 in the target heart range. Then a chirp. I slowed down. Chirp? Where are you? I slowed down more. Listening... I finally dropped to a walk. Ah there it was. Back into my target zone. Time to pick it up a little again. Huh? Chirp? What the?

Well, you get the idea. This was a tough "run". I put "run" in quotes because at times I had to resort to a brisk walk to keep my heart rate in recovery range. My splits show my struggle: 9:44, 10:17, 10:34, 10:59, 11:17. And my average heart rate over the five miles was still above the target - 77% of max. Wow. Tough day. Oh well - every run can't be the best one I've ever run.

Oh - after several weeks of absenteeism - I finally made it to the gym. It actually felt good to get in a good stretch and some planks and crunches.

Today I'll be out for a nine mile GA run. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

8 comments:

  1. best of luck on your nine. i don't have a heart rate monitor so i pretty much just do what i feel. has the monitor helped a lot in your training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm -- that's weird. And it definitely doesn't seem as though you're overtraining. (And, BTW, congrats on the slow-and-steady weight loss you described in the comments.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting-- I will have to get a monitor-- and fast! It sounds like a great tool to get you to slow down-- I need that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its rough when your fast! Great job! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I debated about getting the HRM when I got my Garmin, but decided not to. Looks like it'd be a great way to determine what my "easy" pace really should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenn- this was really interesting because I was just talking about this to a friend of mine- Check out this article that he shared w/me at http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460 Christine : - )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds suspiciously like someone is getting uber fit! Good work!

    I can't BELIEVE a Garmin does that too. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you were just due for an easy recovery day - good thing you listened to your body! hopefully you will recovered and back on track for the weekend workouts.

    ReplyDelete