Monday, June 20, 2011

My “Other” Hobby

So, I’ve let it slip in these pages a few times that I have this *other* hobby. Some consider it a vice. There are times it can be unhealthy – making those who partake in it stay in a sedentary, seated position for hours on end. I like it because there’s a lot of mental stimulation in this hobby. Calculating odds, equities, and probabilities on the fly with real money involved. When everything is going well, it adds a little spending money to the budget. When not, well…..

Those of you who know me know that I’m talking poker. I spend somewhere between 6 and 10 hours a week playing. I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Every hand I see seems to have some type of learning experience associated with it. Just like running, you get better at poker by practicing. The only difference is that practice in poker involves studying hands and situations. I’ve been looking for a way to put hand histories in a database for later study, and the thought of including them in a blog crossed my mind this past weekend. Why not?

So, if you’ve ever been just a little intrigued by watching poker on TV, come and visit my new blog: Poker Perdition. Just a warning before you do though – it’s nothing like you see on TV!

7 comments:

  1. Glenn, I will need to read a book on poker before I even head over there cause I am totally clueless on card games passed Uno and War.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I'm pretty good with math, I've always had a mental block when it comes to statistical odds. I'm afraid to play poker, always worried that I'm taking cards that are not mine...

    That said, I play a mean game of Monopoly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to watching poker tourneys on TV more than most sporting events... I know nothing about playing first-hand, though! Played Hold Em on Facebook for a while but didn't commit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 110% a "fish" :) (but hey I learned something!!) just don't let blog2 interfere with hobby1...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to agree with lindsay 110%. No Interference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet. I'm subscribing now. I play a local game every month and am looking forward to any edge I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see you playing a mean game of poker! Me, not so much - I have no idea how. That's cool it earns you some spending money :).

    ReplyDelete