Monday, November 16, 2009

Who Opened the Refrigerator Door?

I was out the door this morning at 5:30 to put in day #1 of my Los Angeles Marathon training. Only 125 days left! One thing for sure. Running in the morning is, well, different. About 15 minutes into my run I was really bummin' because I didn't have a camera. The sunrise was spectacular! Note to self - don't forget the camera tomorrow morning!

The other thing that really struck me was how COLD it was! As my hands were turning numb it occurred that the biggest difference between running at night and in the morning is that at night heat is still being released from the ground, asphalt, water, etc. In the morning though, any heat that is going to be radiated has been! Folks - it was FREAKING COLD out there! Now, I'm not going to tell you the temperature for fear I will be ridiculed by people East of Interstate 15 (which runs along the Eastern edge of the greater L.A. metropolis) but it took at least 30 minutes for my hands to thaw! And it's only November!

Stats on the run - 3 miles at an average pace of 9:13 with an average heart rate of 77% of max. On tap tomorrow - 5 general aerobic miles. And yes - I made it to my local running store and picked up some running gloves!

15 comments:

  1. Yikes!? Was it actually below 55? :) Fun posting. AM's are the best! Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, Glenn! Sorry, I do have to laugh at your temp sensitivity. ;) (All in good fun, of course.) Day 1 down, good luck! AM runs are pretty nice, because you feel invincible for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was surprisingly cold, too -- and I didn't get out there until after 7. Cold tolerance is all in what you're used to ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care what any of 'em say...it's freekin' FREEZING in the evening and morning right now. I was at the SDSU/Wyoming Game Saturday night and nearly froze my buns off!

    Gloves were a good call. I used mine last year through the whole winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahhaaha you are so funny! You'll get used to running in the morning. I love the sunrise as I finish up my runs and the fact that my run is over and done with. Hopefully, your gloves will provide you much more comfort on the next morning run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah you will need those gloves for the morning! I had to laugh while reading this post. it was 25F this morning for my run! It is colder in the AM but it is sooo beautiful and peaceful! This morning I even ran a bit with my headlight turned off to see the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It IS cold for CA!!!!

    Great start! 125 days? Mine starts tonight~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it's cold in the morning! Now that you bring it up, I really need to find my gloves! Major kudos for getting out there! Chilly weather deters a lot of people.

    Thanks for your support and nice comments on my blog. I am training for a half marathon, but the Silver Strand wasn't the one I was training for. I'm still feeling good about it and it was just the boost I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool Article. Good luck in your marathon training. DONT forget your camera tomorrow. lol. Great Blog! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suck it up cali boy.... :p Jk. Glad you got yourself some gloves though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's when I know we finally have a change in seasons here in San Diego. Time to pull on the tights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, it was SOOOOOO COLD! BS turned on the heater and I was whimpering as I made my way to the shower. I don't know if I can stand this(jk)!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That might be why I LOVE running in the morning!! because it is the coolest time we have here in LA~

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think you need to define "cold"... :-p

    however, i will side with you somewhat. it's just not pleasant to feel chilled, even if you know you'll warm up within a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're exactly right as to why it's so much colder in the morning. You get used to it though. You also buy arm warmers. Trust me, they're worth the money if you don't have them yet. I know, another piece of gear. :-)

    ReplyDelete