Thursday, September 17, 2009

Moving in the Right Direction

Yesterday was my great experiment. The day to see if my cold was going to win out or not. My coughing fits have been slowly subsiding, but I thought the same on Tuesday and was barely able to make it one mile before I had to do my pack a day imitation. So I was a little concerned when I decided that I was going to try to get four miles under my belt.

I was determined that if I was going to have to stop and hack away, I was going to at least enjoy the sights. So, I headed down to Crystal Cove State Park about 6PM to attempt an easy four miles. My head was still pretty congested, but I just wanted to see if I could make it out and back two miles. The bottom line was the four miles came and went pretty uneventfully. I had to hold the horses back - I went out the first mile at a 9:24 - I definitely didn't want to stay at that pace in the shape I was in. A little past mile 2 I had the only incident during the run - I think all the snot in my head decided to let go at once. A quick stop and a couple of snot rockets later I was back on the course and finished up in an overall 10:00 pace.

Now, everything isn't back to normal yet. I did have a coughing fit once I stopped and was at the car. It was the strangest sensation. I started feeling a tightening sensation in my chest followed by a minute or two of coughing. (My youngest son has asthma and I couldn't help but thinking that this is what it must feel like when he has an attack.) And I'm still coughing a little this morning, but each day I'm feeling a little better. This week's training plan is petty much out the window at this point, and I'm going to take it day to day. I am going to put six or so miles in this afternoon. Then I'll see where I sit to decide what to do this weekend. I'd love to get one more 20 miler in for the psychological benefits (that would be three 20 milers in this training cycle). With three weeks left, this weekend would be the last opportunity for a final long run. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully, this cold is finally releasing it's death grip.

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling somewhat better. I know you want to do that 20 miler, but don't freak out (easier said than done, I know) if you can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If you sons look for the shaving powder it's at the grocery/walgreens/cvs in the ehtnic care section. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See the running did you good an got the snot out! Use some vicks! I love that stuff when I am sick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal Cove is one my favorite spots on the Westcoast.

    Speaking of yesterdays posting of running sick. I use anytime my body is fighting something to take time off. Yes, like most runners this is like pulling toenails to take time off. Yet, I just feel if my body needed to get a cold to slow down my I-must-run-now chip inside my head - I will go with it and take some time off. Yet, as typical, Colds never hit at the right time.

    You will do well at LB. Remember it is flat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like recovery is finally here. Now don't go and mess it up by being overly ambitious. That's just my advice, but I've been in your shoes before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you're definitely on the rebound. I hope it continues that way! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tough line to toe, trying to take it easy and recover vs. getting in the necessary training. I think the wise move is to err on the side of recovery. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you are feeling a little better, but make sure to continue focusing on recovery! i know the decision is tough like az said - training vs. rest/recovery. listen to your body, definitely don't want that funk turning into anything worse (especially with all the random sickness going around).

    maybe a few extra days easy/light and then load up a 20-miler mid-week? you know, since you are the boss, you can 'show up' late for work :)

    ReplyDelete