Monday, September 21, 2009

Well, the Finish was Respectable

For all that whining I did earlier this week, I finished up respectably. I kind of wanted to push and get a long run in today, but I though better of it and just settled in for a short recovery run instead. No reason in particular except to just get back into a training rhythm of a long run Saturday followed by a recovery Sunday. I finished up a 6.3 mile run that turned out to be pretty effortless. I was relieved to not have any coughing or hacking along the way.

So, I end the week with 28.5 miles. About 15 miles short of goal, but the way that it started last Tuesday - I'm relieved I was able to get the miles in. Nothing long and no speedwork, but at least the miles ended up respectable. Thanks folks for keeping me sane!

Now I need to turn my mind to important things. 21 days until Long Beach. This week begins taper. That's right. All this work is coming to fruition. On the schedule:

Monday: Rest day.
Tuesday: 7 miles general aerobic. Finish up with 8 100 yard stride outs.
Wednesday: 8 miles general aerobic.
Thursday: 4 miles general aerobic. Finish up with 6 100 yard stride outs. Looks like a good day to get to the gym for some stretching.
Friday: Rest day.
Saturday: 16 mile long run
Sunday: 8 miles - 4 miles general aerobic and 4 miles half marathon pace.
Total: 43 miles

It's supposed to really heat up this week (I hear snow is forecast in the Rockies?). The weatherman is saying low 90's here near the beach, and 100 to 110 inland. I may be doing some night running Tuesday and Wednesday!

4 comments:

  1. Glenn! I am so happy that you are feeling better and no coughing. You are in the home stretch now. Woo hoo! I'll be cheering you on from the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. work (...enjoy) the taper! positive thoughts only from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great turn around this week! I can't wait to cheer for you at Long Beach as I cheer on my husband. You'll have to tell me what you are wearing!

    For my race this weekend, it's supposed to be 100 degrees! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully the hot weather won't last too long. Glad you are feeling better.

    As a follow up to your previous post, it looks like training in groups actually helps: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8257716.stm

    ReplyDelete