Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Track Work

Yesterday was interval day. I made it over to the CDM track a little after 5 to put in my miles. Today was 3 x 1600 at 10K pace. 2 mile warm up, 1 mile warm down with rest laps after each interval for a total of 6.75 miles. Nothing really exciting about the run other than I surprised myself by having to slow down to stay at 10K pace. I want to be careful about not blowing up at this point because I only have a few more weeks before my HM goal race.

After I got back, I started analyzing data and noticed a big issue. The purpose behind interval training is to improve VO2Max. The best way to improve VO2Max is to run at VO2Max, which typically occurs at 94% to 98% MHR. Notice a problem here?


Yup - an hour plus of running, three 1600 intervals, and I barely touched VO2Max HR near the end of interval three. I think I still have more to learn about what my body *should* feel like. Maybe that's why I'm still a slowpoke!

While I was finishing up, Cal Coast showed up to do their interval work. They had quite a turnout - at least 60 runners. Has me thinking that I should join them. The only problem is they start so late in the evening (start time is 5:45 PM, so they really don't get going until 6:15 or so).

No comments:

Post a Comment