Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Back to Running

I'm writing this a day late. I think that a combination of the 5 mile walk on Sunday, the time change, and the hills on yesterday's run really took it out of me. My kids were laughing at me last night when I hit the sack at 8:15.

Yesterday I started at the Newport Aquatic Center and headed south. The first thing that confronts a runner heading either north or south out of the NAC is "the hill". If you head north, the hill is not quite as steep, but the northerly route dumps you into a residential neighborhood where you compete with cars for running space on the streets. Heading south, on the other hand, allows you to get onto the Newport Back Bay trail within half a mile. Of course, then you face "the hill" - probably a 100 foot climb up to the top of the bluff at Castaways. A mile or so later after running the trail at Castaways, its back down to the intersection of Dover Drive and Coast Highway, and then up and over the overpass on Coast Highway over the bay and finally down to sea level as you run the trail behind Newport Dunes:


Then, on the way back, you get to do it all over again! Needless to say, by the end of my run yesterday my quads were screaming - and that's at 10:20 per mile!
Today it's back onto the erg for a little bit of *light* erging, then a stretching and weight session! Time for some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment