Sunday, March 23, 2008

Trying to get back on track....

Well folks, I am trying to get back on track here. The original purpose of this blog was as a daily running diary for me. Who knows, eventually I may want to go back and "recapture" my enjoyment. This past week I've kind of dropped off the face of the earth - time to get back on track here....


Yesterday was my long run with Cal Coast. We are starting to get more serious now. While eight miles may still be behind some training programs that I read about, we are at least getting to the point where it's more than a jog in the park. Our training plan will continue to increase long run mileage a mile a week until 10 miles, then 2 miles a week up to 20. Also, the weekly runs are increasing from 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Eventually I believe we ramp up to 45 minutes a day three days a week. Our long week will be around 35 miles. That is a respectable distance. I am hoping that I can continue to build on that as this round of training ends and my next one starts.

The other change this week was reduced mileage this week to see if I was over training. Indeed, some of my symptoms last week were indicative of over training - tiredness, pains and aches. This week I seem to have some more energy, but I'm still suffering from some aches and pains - especially my left calf and shin. I started thinking that my issues may be shoe related, since I *never* had these problems in my old shoes. So, just for grins, yesterday I dusted off my old Asics Gel Kayano 13's for my long run. The minute I put the shoes on I could feel the difference. Immediately, my arches felt the support that is evidently missing in my Saucony's. I ran the 8 miles, and was pleased by the lack of pain! Time to go back to Road Runner Sports for another pair of Asics Gel Kayanos! I'll give those a try and let you know how things progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment