Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lengthening Out a Bit

For the first time in a long time (since May actually) I went double digits. A tad over 10 miles on the San Diego Creek trail up into Irvine.

I've been trying to concentrate on getting back into shape after my cycling accident, following Higdon's Intermediate Spring Training Plan. With this plan, Hal is concentrating on quality versus quantity. I had to deviate from plan this week, with one son's back to school night, and the other saying his family good-byes as he moved off to college (even though it was only to UC Irvine). So, I took Thursday and Friday off, and then lengthened Saturday from 8 to 10 miles.

In the last training cycle, these long runs gave me some problems. I think that it was due to a number of reasons - running too fast, being too new, etc., etc. This plan, though, has been making me do some speed work as well as medium long distances. I think it's pretty comfortable and is good for me, because yesterday I was able to keep a pretty steady pace throughout, managing a pretty comfortable 10:24 pace. It would have no doubt been a little better, but I had to make a short pit stop about 5 miles in to get rid of my morning coffee.

Today it's off for a 60 minute fartlek. I am going to concentrate on running at LT pace - 9:09 or thereabouts. I know I can run faster, but I am a little sore and stiff from yesterday. When done, this week's mileage should come in at a tad over 30 - right at the starting point for the Pfitz plan(s). Looks like it's time to start reading that book now!

No comments:

Post a Comment