Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pulling Back a Little

Being Saturday, today is my normal long run day. After last Saturday's success at 10 miles, I was going to put in 12 miles. But, I've been feeling pretty fatigued this week. That along with some left shin pain prompted me to scale back my plans and play it safe. After all, even if I put in 8 miles today, I will still end up at 33 to 35 miles for the week, depending on tomorrow.

I started out this morning with the group with a plan to go 10. My decision was that if I felt good at the 5 mile mark, I would just continue around the bay and make it a 12 miler. I started out slow. By mile 3 I was feeling some discomfort (at least not pain) in my shins, and my quads were feeling tired. So, I decided to err on the side of caution and turned around at the 4 mile mark, making today's run 8 miles. As I sit here, I am pretty sure I did the right thing. I'm tired, but my legs feel fine. No pain. In fact, after about mile 6, my legs actually started feeling better.

I wanted to make sure I had enough left for a 60 minute tempo run tomorrow. I may have met that goal...

No comments:

Post a Comment