Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nine Miler

Yesterday was Saturday, so it was long run day. I made it out to the CDM track at 7 to meet with the rest of the Cal Coast runners and took off up the San Diego Creek trail for my planned nine mile long run. This week's run was a little different - the first three quarters of the run (6.75 miles) at long run heart rate, and the last quarter of the run (2.25 miles) at race pace. This is what Higdon calls a 3/1.

Once done, I was pretty pleased with the workout. I kept my heart rate at 83% of MHR during the long run phase and averaged a 10:20 pace. I stepped the pace up at the 6.75 mile point, and was actually doing pretty well at 9:50 to 10:00 until I hit the last big hill back to CDM. I still managed a 10:22 over the last 2 miles.

Today is a 4 mile recovery run. I'm feeling pretty good, so I think I'll stretch it out to 6, since I'm going to miss a couple of days this week. I'll be in Buffalo - flying on Tuesday and taking my regular rest day on Friday. Wednesday may be out too - may be taking in a Sabres' game. Right now the plan for this week is 6 miles on Monday, 4 miles on Wednesday, 45 minute tempo on Thursday, 12 on Saturday when I get back, and 6 more next Sunday. That keeps my base at about 32 miles this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment