Sunday, November 16, 2008

An Ode to Buffalo

Got back from Buffalo yesterday. It was interesting stepping off the plane at John Wayne. When I left Buffalo at 8AM local time, it was 48 degrees and raining. I stepped off the plane to 90 degrees plus!

As far as my trip - despite my intentions, I just had to put in way too many hours each day to get up on a treadmill at the end of the day. I've flown through Buffalo before (on my way to St. Catherines), but this is the first time I've stayed in Buffalo itself. While there, I did learn some interesting facts. Buffalo used to be the top steel producing region in the US. With the auto industry in the dumps, the population of Buffalo has fallen from 500,000 to 250,000 in the last few years. Two Presidents called Buffalo home - Millard Fillmore and Grover Cleveland. One President was assassinated there (William McKinley), and one President was sworn in there (Theodore Roosevelt).

One of the things I always try to do when travelling is sample some of the regional food. In Buffalo it's the "Beef on Weck". A Beef on Weck is a carved beef dip on a Kummelweck roll, which is kind of like a pretzel roll - salt and rye on the top of the roll. Drown the sucker with some horseradish, and there you have a Beef of Weck. It was actually pretty good!

But, I wasn't able to get on the treadmills at all. Plus, yesterday I wasn't going to go out for a long run in the heat and smoke. So, this week I'll be a little light on the miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment