Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tempo Tuesday

As I wrap up and head into this weekend's 5K and a week off, I put in a 60 minute tempo run yesterday. I found that this distance is just about at the edge of my abilities right now. I broke the run into three pieces - 10 minute warm up, 40 minute run, 10 minute cool down. I keep my warm up and cool down pace around 10:00, and try to build the middle run to 9:00 pace and hold that pace for 20 minutes. In yesterday's run, I started out and ended up on track. It was the middle 40 that gave me fits. On the outbound run, I started building by dropping from 10:00 during warm up to 9:30 over mile 2 to 9:09 through mile 3. I made the turn and made a pit stop, which contributed to mile 4's pace of 10:16. Things went downhill from there though. I had to stop a couple of times to catch some air. I think the heat had a lot to do with it, but I had to stop none the less. I turned in a 9:56 mile 6 and a 10:21 cool down. I did get HR up over 90% (big no no!) too during mile 4. Looks like I still have a little work in front of me.

Today is a 6 mile easy run and then two days off!

No comments:

Post a Comment