Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hello Old Friend

Yesterday was a trip down memory lane. Back in 2007 before Garmins and tech shirts and all that high tech running gear, my exercise regimen involved clicking various remote controls. I was 260 pounds and would get winded walking up a flight of stairs. It was time to get in shape and drop some el bees. At the time my daughter was rowing competitively and was getting some additional coaching by a guy at his rowing studio in Costa Mesa. I thought that maybe I could get on a machine and row a few strokes. The rest has been history.

The rowing studio is the Iron Oarsman, run by Olympic Gold and Silver Medalist Xeno Muller. Xeno is a motivator. He really knows how to keep something as boring as sitting on an erg machine for an hour fresh and fun. I rowed many a meter with Xeno in those early days, pushing through two million in a year and a half or so. Slowly I got to the point where I could run and enjoy the competition at races. Thanks Xeno!


Yesterday, I got back on my old friend. Had to dust it off and replace the batteries in the monitor, but I was able to row a few thousand meters. I ripped the flywheel for 30 minutes - 5 minute warm up, then a series of 1 minute on and 30 seconds rest pieces for a total of 6.2 km. Then since my feet were strapped in, I did about 50 crunches and climbed off. I was dripping wet. I also realized there are a bunch of muscles that we just don't work very well running!

I'll be back on the trails tonight. 8 miles general aerobic.

6 comments:

  1. NIce job rowing-- Looks like it would burn a lot of calories-- do you know how much more than running?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty incredible how your fitness journey has evolved. Nice job on the rowing, which reminds me, I have a row attachment on my Bowflex I should dust off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I was called was the coxswain by some of the girls i sponsor...one of them is on the UOP rowing team.

    I think this was a compliment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried rowing at the gym a few months ago... I couldn't believe all the "new" muscles I discovered (because they hurt). You've inspired me to try it again. It was fun!

    Amazing how much you must have changed in the past few years! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Your story is sort of like mine. But I guess all us "fat" runners stories are similar, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lot has changed in you - for the better of course :) great erg workout, you actually kinda made me miss it... also i think it'll be a great xt/rest day activity!

    ReplyDelete