Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hope I'm Not Boring You

But as workout days go, it was a pretty boring day. I got back on the erg last night for another 30 minute session. 5 minute warm up, 4 sets of 4 minutes on/2 minutes rest, and 1 minute warm down. Put in a total of 6.15 km. Did my crunches and some stretching afterwards - so a complete cross training day.

I did get a little excitement yesterday though! I got a call from my son (who is a Freshman at the University of California at Irvine (UCI)) about 2 PM. He said that he had just received an email that the campus was under alert because there was a report of a man wearing camos walking on the campus with a rifle! There were dozens of police cars and a helicopter circling. What the? Here in Orange County? I immediately sent a Tweet, and waited for more details. It didn't take five minutes before I had a dozen or so Tweets from others. Some from other UCI students. Some from reporters for local papers. Some from others living in the local area. It still took about half an hour to sort through what was actually happening from what was rumor, but in the end it really beat waiting for hours to hear about something on the news or in a paper. Really points out the power of tools like Twitter and why newspapers are having a tough go at it these days. (In the end it was a student going to an airsoft tournament).

By the way, if you aren't on Twitter, you should be. If you are and want to follow me, I tweet under gwjones00. Come join us on Twitter. It's sooo much better than Facebook...

I'm back on the trails again tonight. 9 miles general aerobic. Looking for somewhere new to run.

3 comments:

  1. It was also kind of cool following your tweets about the whole thing. It all played out in the time it took me to cook dinner :). I'm glad it turned out to be a false alarm. Some will complain about that, but lives would have been saved if it had been a real emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad everything turned out well at your son's school! wow!

    hope the run goes well today :)

    ReplyDelete