Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Back to Basics

The new plan is being executed. Uh, not “bang bang” executed, but hard work executed. You get my drift. One thing for sure – all this workout has sure left me tired! I was in bed last night by 9PM!!!! Back up at 6AM. And I’m still physically tired.

Here’s all it took to drive me into the depths of fatigue:

  • Monday: Up on the ergometer. 5 minute warm up, 20 sets of 1 minute on, 30 seconds off (stroke rate progression of 24 spm (5 sets), 28 spm (5 sets), 22 spm (5 sets), 30 spm (5 sets)). 5 minute warm down. Total distance rowed – 7750 meters (4.8 miles). I followed this by a resistance training routine.
  • Tuesday: Intervals with Cal Coast. 1.25 mile warm up. Intervals of 1X1200 (5:53), 1X800 (3:55), 2X400 (1:58, 1:48). 1.75 mile warm down. Total distance – 5.1 miles.

I made it home, had dinner and settled in to watch the Lakers and Dodgers on TV (this time of year is wonderful for a sports nut – even the NHL is on!). A few minutes later (at least it seemed a few minutes later) I noticed a big wet spot on my t-shirt’s left shoulder. Drool! I know when I’m beat – so it was off to bed. Yeah – getting old sucks.

Actually – I can’t tell you how nice it is to be physically exhausted because I should be!

9 comments:

  1. Nice work Glen! I myself need to find time to get back on the erg, its a great workout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on the new plan! I think that kind of fatigue can be really relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I enjoy falling into bed and being exhausted, especially when I've earned the feeling! By the way, I just jumped into new shoes that have less stability because I've had problems for 6 months and I need to try something else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never again complain about 800 repeats (OK...I never complain about them).

    Don't you love track workouts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love wearing myself out with some good workouts. the past two weeks off from running were ruining my sleep! i couldn't sleep in, sleep through the night, take a nap...

    and you were right, i had no idea who you were talking about. too young :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work getting tired Glenn. I love having those workouts that force you into the sack early. Never had the drool factor though. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah, I'd look at the drool as a badge of honor for all your hard work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha that workout would have tired me out too! great job Glenn!!

    ReplyDelete