Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Row row row my not boat

That’s the best way I can describe yesterday. I had some plans in the evening, so I hurriedly got up on my ergometer (my not boat) when I got home and did a 30 minute program consisting of 6 sets of 4 minutes on, 1 minute rest, 16-18 strokes per minute (slow and strong – a real strength building set). Total distance rowed was 5500 meters (about 3.5 miles). I should have gone 3 more sets for 45 minutes total, but I’m experiencing some knee tendonitis (old high school injury) that I seemed to have aggravated with my traipsing through the hills on Sunday. So, I decided to take it easy (a little) and shut it down early.

Speaking of shutting down early, my lack of planning for Saturday left me a couple miles short of plan last week – 29.5 miles (5.5 miles rowed, 24 miles run) instead of the planned 33. I did get in my two days of resistance training though, so all is not lost.

This week is more of the same:

  • Monday: Row. 45 minutes/5 miles.
  • Tuesday: Intervals at the track with Cal Coast. Around 5 miles total.
  • Wednesday: 6 mile easy run.
  • Thursday: 3 mile run. Resistance training consisting of three sets of Lying Hip Abduction, Cook Hip Lift, Kneeling Overhead Draw In, Knee Fall Out, Squat Jump
  • Friday: Rest day.
  • Saturday: This is a step back week, so 8 miles easy.
  • Sunday: 6 pace miles. Resistance training consisting of three sets of Lying Hip Abduction, Cook Hip Lift, Kneeling Overhead Draw In, Knee Fall Out, Broad Jump
  • Total planned miles: 33

Other than my knee, all systems are go. I’m feeling good for the first time in several weeks. And for my knee – it’s nothing that a little ibuprofen won’t cure.

12 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try rowing, but I don't know how to do it properly. Any tips on proper form?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan for the week. Hope the knee feels better. My IT band has been acting up..all the hills on my last race irritated it. I guess it's just par for the course. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would pictures or prints of water - lakes, large ponds, oceans or even a mud puddle in your garage make your ergo workouts seem more "not boat"?

    Take care of that knee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got a good row in.

    I took a rowing class earlier this year - I had never realized how many exercises you could do on a rowing machine.

    I'm glad you are feeling good, Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you're feeling good! Take care of that knee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great week, yay! Sometimes life just gets in the way; a few miles short isn't bad. Hope your knee's doing better....so annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed by the photos from your sunday run. Running is also sight seeing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glenn,
    Woo hoo for all systems go!! You have a pretty busy workout week:) All of that rowing you are doing has got to be strengthening your core and abs! Have you been able to tell the difference if you don't do the rowing for a period of time? Just curious:) Take care Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never rowed before - but I know that people love it. Maybe it is the upper body workout that I am looking for.

    Mmmmmm, nothing like a bit of vit I to take care of the knee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take care of that knee!

    I feel like every week I am a few miles short...oh well! At least you are getting them in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're motivating me to make time for my rowing machine since it's been weeks. Glad all system's are go other than that pesky knee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the title :)

    i have a tendency to be wayyy lax on mileage when i don't have a marathon on the calendar... not always a great trait. just don't string together too many short weeks, right?

    i tried your core exercises the other day... those lying hip thingies are killer!

    ReplyDelete