Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Track Time Tuesday

Yesterday was Tuesday, so it was time for the track with Cal Coast. I got there in time to put in a 2 mile warm up before circle fest started. I finished all six intervals, but my times were all over the place:

  • Interval 1: 800. 3:37 (What? Are we sure the stopwatch isn’t broken?)
  • Interval 2: 800. 3:48 (That’s more like it)
  • Interval 3: 400. 1:48
  • Interval 4: 400. 1:53
  • Interval 5: 400. 1:43
  • Interval 6: 400. 1:56

I was able to manage a two mile warm down shuffle with the group to fill out the day at 6 miles.

Then it was back home to ice my right knee. My tendonitis is flaring, but not so bad that I can’t/won’t run. In fact, my knee feels better with use – it’s a couple hours later that it hurts. At this point, my therapy is ibuprofen and icing after use.

Which brings me to this little trick I learned a few years back when my son ran cross country. Ever need an ice bag for a knee or elbow? Looking for a solution that is a little less awkward than a bunch of ice cubes in a zip lock bag? Here’s an idea. It requires some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, water, and a couple large (not sandwich sized) zip lock bags. Measure two cups of isopropyl alcohol, and one cup of water and put in one of the zip lock bags (I add a drop or two of food coloring so that I can easily spot the bag in the freezer). Make sure the bag is well sealed, then for safety, place it inside the second zip lock. Throw in the freezer. The big benefit with this is that the alcohol keeps the water from freezing solid – giving you a frozen mush that you can form around the joint needing the ice. Plus, you don’t end up with smelly frozen peas.

Today is a take it easy day. Six miles later this afternoon. Nice and slow…..

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I think I'll make one today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen! You gotta try the peaceful mountain "Muscle Ice" I got it at whole foods, Im sure mothers might have it... It works wonders- its be great for your knee- scouts promise!

    And Yep! In fact both Mary and I are doing the S.F. 1st 1/2 (hillier but far more scenic they say) I am insanely excited! I have never ran a race, that has involved scheduling a flight :) Have you done it b4?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when I need a good ice pack for my ankle, Glenn to the rescue! Now I just have to get some of that alcohol!

    Great job on the intervals! Hope that knee gets better soon! Tendinitis is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Glenn! I think when the time comes to build my LB 1/2 mary training plan I'll come to you for incorporating some interval workouts! Great job! And thanks for the recipe...will try it this weekend after my 6-miler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for ice pack recipe; I'm sure I'll need to make a few soon.

    Hope tendonitis clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like track sessions , i think it is the structure and the discipline of running set distances and also running with lots of others. The seession also seems to pass very quickly and you feel you have achieved something worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be careful with that knee, Glenn.

    Thanks for sharing your little ice trick - that just might come in handy one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice track workout. Got me to thinking I need to get to the track. The last track workout I ran was about 22 years ago. I have a track 2.5 miles away so no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, good job on the track work. I really hate speed work so I will live vicariously through yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great ice pack trick! That will probably come in very handy.

    Nice job on the tough track workout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i guess i'm lazy... i'd rather just buy the ice/heat packs from the store :)

    really i'm lazier than that and sometimes don't even ice when i should.

    nice job on the intervals! now i feel even better about pushing through mine knowing you were slugging it out too.

    also FYI i STILL haven't mailed your little gift. i know, i know, i suck at life. i swear i will do it friday - i'm taking the day off work so i can actually go to the post office!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice ice bag trick-I'll have to try it if I dont have any peas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice tip! Glad you're getting back into it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why have I never heard of this ice bag trick. Thanks for spreading the love. Cold packs are my friend.

    Nice track work too! I did some speed work yesterday around a city block so it wasn't true 400m. It got the job done but I need to get my buns outta bed earlier and head to the track. I like my 400m to be 400m. Wouldn't want to put in more effort into than necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for the recipe for the ice pack. I've never heard of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard that tip before, but I like your idea of the blue food coloring. I'm going to do this! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete