Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lengthening Out a Little

I’ve been around long enough now to tell when a marathon training plan is getting serious. It’s when those midweek runs start getting longer. And longer. And longer. Well – that started last night as I added a mile to my Wednesday evening run. After Tuesday’s track workout, last night was all about keeping my legs moving. It was an *s* *t* *r* *u* *g* *g* *l* *e*. Thank goodness I’m doing this cycle for fun.

To be honest, I don’t remember three weeks into a marathon plan where I had so much pain and fatigue. But – I’m doing a *ton* of new stuff. Proprioceptive cues. Resistance workouts. The latest has been folding in relaxation techniques and deep breathing that I’m trying to learn from my current on going date with Chi Running (thanks Meg!)

Last night was a mind numbingly slow six miles (10:50 pace, 69% MHR) nose breathing the entire distance. Needle in cotton. Running on water. Lot’s of things to think about. I’ll let the pace take care of itself for the time being.

One last thing – my days (and evenings) have been real hectic lately. I’ve fallen way behind in paying attention to my bloggy friends. Sorry folks! In the next few days you should see a flood of comments from me!

15 comments:

  1. SO you are doing an array of other things that is injected into your running scheme. Best wishes to you in the future of your running/training. Good luck on trying out all that new stuff there and Running on water. That sounds interesting enough. Take care Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the nose breathing something from Chi Running? I bet you will notice a difference with those "extras" before the end of the cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing about Chi Running. Should probably check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chi Running is the only way I am *able* to run on flat surfaces at all. And it really helps me with hills - don't get me wrong, I still suck at going up them but at least I have better form now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear by ChiRunning. My recovery time is so much shorter ever since I started ChiRunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost your email and wanted to ask you if you're familiar with running in Corona at all (or near it)? Where is the nearest runner friendly area?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments about my training plan - you are totally right. I totally understand about the hectic days! Seems like they never end and I am always behind on commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so what marathon are you training for? did I miss this??? must have...I've thought about Chi Running.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo...Which marathon ya gonna run? Plenty of scenic ones, surely, have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, are you training for a marathon? I think I may have missed that post.

    We should go for a run after I do the SD RnR or you can sneak me into one of the Cal Coast Saturday runs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound right on track to me. Trying new things, getting better at it, it always hurts to do so. Keep up the good work and have fun with your marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're doing a training cycle for fun? You are an animal...thankgoodness you're dating Chi Running and getting stronger with all of the other stuff you're doing. OK, I really will finally meet you in San Diego! I'm going to hunt you down or at least cheer for you like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny - I'm dropping my own little comment "flood" right now. It seems like that is the only way that I can get them done!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Glenn,
    I am most likely starting my marathon training next week! Holy crap! I actually think that I am going to like those slow longer runs. I need to work on the getting relaxed and keeping my breathing regulated. I have always had issues with this. Good luck to you with your marathon training Glenn! You can let me know what your secrets are....I will need advice!

    Don't feel like you are the only one behind on blogging. I need more time in the day:) Take care Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to see that you're extending the long run! I know some people who have had great success with chi running...

    ReplyDelete