Thursday, August 12, 2010

Calorie Tracking – A Must Have App

Note: I’ve received several questions over that past couple weeks about how I track calories. Face it, if it’s not convenient to enter the what I’m eating when I’m eating it, it ain’t gonna happen. That is why I have settled on an iPhone app called LoseIt!

The application is easy to use and very intuitive.The application is really targeted to people who are trying to lose weight. You start your LoseIt! experience by entering typical information – starting weight, goal weight, gender, height, birth date and your weekly weight loss goal:

IMG_0313

The program then calculates your calorie budget and you're ready to go!

IMG_0314

Now – the real benefit of this program is that you can track your intake while it’s happening. Data en try is easy and intuitive. Push “Add Food”, select the meal, and then search for the food from the very comprehensive food database:



Not only are there the standard foods (e.g., bread, milk, eggs, etc.) but food are also categorized by manufacturer - like in this search for Grandma's Oatmeal cookies:

Then, what absolutely blew me away? A entire database of restaurant food! I can enter my In-n-Out Double-Double!

Entering intake is only half of the equation though. By pushing “Add Exercise”, you can access an entire database of physical activity

IMG_0448IMG_0449

Any exercise that you’ve done is saved in “My Exercises” so there isn’t a need to search through the extensive database each time you book a workout:

IMG_0450

You then select the intensity and length of your workout, and the calories are then folded into your daily summary:

IMG_0452

IMG_0451One word of caution here – calorie burn due to exercise can be calculated any number of ways, and no two methods are identical. Don’t be surprised when the calculation from LoseIt! (or any other calorie tracking program) doesn’t agree with your Garmin. I find that calorie count from LoseIt! is more conservative (i.e., fewer calories) than my Garmin.

So there you go. The app that I use to track calories. Now if I could just find an app that would compel me to use it religiously!

  • The app: LoseIt! for the iPhone and iPod Touch
  • More info at their website: http://www.loseit.com/
  • Cost: FREE!!!!!

Oh – I did get an easy 3 miler in yesterday. So here’s how the day stacked up:

  • Daily calorie budget: 1762
  • Food consumed: 2092
  • Exercise calories: 407
  • Net calories: 1685 (77 calories under budget! Yea!)

16 comments:

  1. Very cool Glenn! I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my wife uses the same app. she finds it very handy. keep kickin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Ap...it's really time for me to start using it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very scientific - way to get your plan down. The selection of inputs looks very nice on that app, too. Someone does need to come up with a better extrapolation for calories burned on trail runs, i.e. compensating for vertical gain. Sometimes I laugh at the Garmin after a brutal effort of climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it humorous that you use Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies and In-n-Out Double Double as samples of things you can look up. ;)

    Now I want an iPhone. I didn't want it before but now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is pretty newfangled and hi tech! cool stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for making it under calorie budget!
    Thanks for sharing the app info. It looks good!

    I used calorie counters on a couple websites, but I don't always have my computer with me which made it tough and I never got around to transferring info from paper to the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool...will you get me an iPhone, pretty please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok I gotta get an iPhone. That's all there is to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a cool app. but a Double Double from In-n-Out Burger?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is a REALLY comprehensive app.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just want you to know i am eating ice cream as i read this post... fat kid, right here. :)

    i have lose it... i haven't used it in awhile. that may explain a few pounds. it is very easy to use but sometimes i am just that lazy. sad i know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still in the stone-age. I don't have an iPhone, YET, since we have Verizon through Hubs job. Rumor has it that Verizon will carry iPhone in the near future, but I'm getting off track here.

    That's a really cool ap! It seems a lot more convenient and more user friendly than other aps. I gave up on Daily Burn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And for Android users check out: http://www.fatsecret.com/connected/android It's basically the same though not as pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great right up, a big database is a must although I am amazed at how much I eat is the same every day...maybe that's whereby am going wrong?!?

    ReplyDelete