Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pant Wheeze Pant Wheeze

That about sums up yesterday’s run. Hill repeats on what is quickly becoming my least favorite place in Southern California – the hill on San Joaquin Hills Road from the back bay to Jamboree. 120 feet up in 1/4 mile. Then back down to repeat. Eight times. A one mile warm up and a one mile cool down made for six tough miles. Well – at least the four in the middle were:

Running Lower Back Bay 8-24-2010, Heart rate (% of max HR)  - Distance

In a related note – summer has finally arrived in Southern California. We have been experiencing one of the coolest summers on record. Well – this week the heat is on. Not Phoenix or Las Vegas heat – but it was 90 yesterday at the beach! I think it was still in the upper 70’s when I hit the hills at 6:45 in the evening. All I know is I polished off three bottles of water in the process yesterday. I’m still feeling dehydrated this morning.

Things are supposed to be cooling down after today. In fact – by Sunday the temperature is supposed to be back in the mid 60’s. They’re talking about the chance of a dusting of snow in the upper elevations of the Sierra Nevada this weekend. Well summer – it was nice while it lasted…

19 comments:

  1. Ah Glen, your post title alone was enough to get me smiling this morning. ;) Hill repeats are tough enough but you did it 8 times! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. incredible ... totally incredible ... this is a hobby for you? ya right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dusting of snow in the sierras, you say? Gah! I'm going camping up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tough workout! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job on the hill repeats - that's one of my favorite workouts ever!! And you can keep the heat...it FINALLY cooled down here in Denver yesterday, but I hear more mid 90's this weekend. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to push it Glenn - we had 60's and rain yesterday then cleared off in the evening for a run. Perfect, yet not ready for snow....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you telling me I can hit the slopes soon? ::pulls her snowboard out to get it waxed::

    Nice job on those hill repeats. I got tired just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your graph terrifies me! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. uh yeah it was like mid-70's when i was in LA back in july around the honeymoon. so not fair!!! so yeah, you can "enjoy" your turn with the heat. it'll probably only last like 2 days and won't be humid at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job on the hill repeats! Wish I lived closer to ya- I need that inspiration to do some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH...hill repeats. Great job! I am panting just reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Glenn! Long time no read. How are things going with the resistance work and body fat %? Pop over to my blog and fill me in. I am going to try to be a better blogger...summer has been a bit nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm ready for the next cooldown. Keep staying hydrated, Glenn. And keep hitting those hills.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice hill work! Glad somebody's having a cool summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I run back bay (I think). We need to go for a run together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go on those hills man. Quite impressive. Thanks for sharing the chart as well. Things here are finally starting to cool down, but next week, we are getting some stupid hot weather again. Damn, and I was enjoying this 60 degrees. lol. Take care Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so happy it's cooled down! I hated that heat!

    Those hill repeats look "narly dude".....Hope to see you at a race soon

    Hope you are well!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like some crazy running to me! I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete