Thursday, January 22, 2009

Back to It (Again)

Well, I'm home from my travels. I was able to get out a day early. It's time to get back to my other hobby - running.

Now that I've put my spring marathon on hold, I need to set a goal race and get back on a training plan. I think I will set the weekend of May 3 as the weekend for my goal race. There are two local races that week - the OC Half/Full and the Cinco de Mayo Half. I'm going to use the Higdon Advanced Half Marathon plan again - it seemed to work pretty well before. Plugging in my goal date of May 3, I need to get things started on the week ending February 15. That means that I have about 3 weeks to shake off the cobwebs.

So, for the next three weeks, I'll fall back on my schedule that I had written about before here:

Mondays and Wednesdays - 4 miles with some core work and stretching afterwards.
Tuesdays and Thursdays - 6 miles
Saturday - 12 mile LSD
Sunday - 4 mile recovery

This puts me at 30 mpw to start me training with! So, today will be 6 miles! If it's not raining!

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about doing the Cinco de Mayo half since it supports the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation. But it'll be a back to back race since I'm going to run the Palos Verdes half as well on Saturday. Good luck with your upcoming training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emil - I think Chic Runner is also running the event. The only reason I'm considering OC is becuase I'm familiar with the route, since I run parts of it everyday. But - if you're not quite well and are already running PV, then I think I'd skip the back end race for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 weeks sounds like plenty of time to get back in your 'groove' and establish a base before fully jumping into a program. sounds like a solid plan for the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete