Friday, January 30, 2009

Cough Hack Wheeze (Round 2)

Well, I thought I was getting better. Yesterday started out great. Worked until about noon, and then went on another college campus tour with my kids (I have a daughter who is looking to transfer to a local school and a son who is a high school junior). The goal here is to expose my son to as many colleges as possible over the next few months so that he has some ideas about what he likes and dislikes in a campus.

In that vein, last weekend we toured UCLA, about a hour's drive from home. Yesterday it was UC Irvine, about a four mile drive from home. For those of you who may not have heard about UC Irvine, it is a medium size school (about 22,000 students) and one of the 10 University of California campuses. They are one of the more selective UC campuses, with an average incoming class GPA of about 3.9 and an SAT of around 1800. Not UCLA or Cal or UCSD, but still respectable. My family has a long legacy at UCI. I graduated with my BS in Biological Sciences (1979), my wife with her BA in Economics (1981) and MBA (1983), and my middle son is a freshman Civil Engineering major there. We are a family of Anteaters!

After our campus tour, I came home with every intention of running. Next thing I know, I was coughing and hacking again! Unfortunately I think my cold has progressed to mild bronchitis. Between the coughing and allergies brought on by the Santa Ana winds (yeah it was 80* at 4PM yesterday), I ended up falling asleep on the couch. When I woke, it was dark outside. I was a little sore from from my previous days' runs, sore from coughing so much, and tired, so I convinced myself to take a day off. I'm hoping that two days in a row (yesterday and today) will help....

5 comments:

  1. Hey you said you coughed up both lungs! Take it easy. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anteaters! ha ha, that's right next to my alma mater as well! :) Gosh glenn, hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your rest days help you feel better.
    if you want a change of pace for Saturday check out the so cal trailheadz new member run at 0700. 2-7 mile run at peters canyon. I'll be there instead of my oc marathon training. I found that running with a small piece of shot bloks(not the whole blok) in my mouth-don't chew-keeps me from coughing. Worked for the rock n roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. rest up and feel better! you need your lungs to want to come back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain! I'm sick and i blame the Santa Ana's for starting it!!

    ReplyDelete