Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Postponing my Next Marathon

I'm into day 2 of getting back into things. I continue to be really surprised how much I've lost in speed and fitness over the last month. The last time I was off for any extended period of time was right after my bike accident. I came back from that injury by using a Hal Higdon Spring Training Plan to get me into shape.

This time it was a 3 to 4 week layoff for my hip strain. I had a six mile run scheduled yesterday. I don't know if it was the Half that I ran on Saturday, the heat and dryness in the air, or lack of fitness, but I *really* struggled. I ended up finishing the six miles at an average pace of 10:15. My heart rate was right in the zone most of the run (80% MHR). But my breathing was labored and the run was just plain tough! This morning my quads are tired and my lower abs are sore.

One thing for sure, at this level of fitness, I really think that it would be too much too soon to put a May marathon in my sights. A bunch of folks from the Runner's World California forum are going to run the San Diego Rock N' Roll Marathon at the end of May, and I was looking forward to join them for an FE (Forum Encounter). But, right now these short easy runs are too laborious to give any serious thought to starting a Marathon Training plan in a couple of weeks. So..... I'm going to put this year's plan to run the San Diego RnR on hold. Instead, I will concentrate on getting back into shape. I want to be strong enough to seriously run a Marathon. I'm going to put my sights on an October marathon instead. For now, I'll concentrate on getting back to the point where I can put in 30 to 40 miles per week. This week will be a 20 mile week (going skiing this weekend), and next week is up in the air since I will be travelling. Once I get back, I'll need to play it by ear and make a decision about whether to use a Higdon plan to get back in shape or not.

I did choose some races though to keep me focused. My tentative schedule as of now is:
  • Chinatown Firecracker 10K (2.08.2009)
  • Newport Beach Spirit Run 10K (3.22.2009) (Only because I can walk to the start line)
  • Costa Mesa Community Run 5K (4.18.2009)
  • OC Half or Cinco de Mayo Half (5.03.2009) (Still making up my mind)
  • Laguna Hills Half Marathon (5.25.2009)

Hope to see/meet some of you there!

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there Glen! you are doing the right thing by listening to your body and getting back into shape! :)
    I'm also doing the Cinco De Mayo Half!!! And I'm trying to convince the BF to run the 10k or 5k. it's going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart move. Take it easy and get healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might do the Chinatown Firecracker 10K!!! I'm not doing Surf City-it was sold out, So I'll be running the Redondo beach Super Bowl sunday 10K which I've run for years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a smart move! As for me, I'm in for it at Carlsbad and Surf City. I'm sure the SD RnR FE will become an annual event. You can always come down and cheer us on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a smart move. no need to rush into training for a marathon when you could potentially injure something else or drag the hip aches out any longer. plus you'll be able to train better for one a little further out and really rock it!

    ReplyDelete