Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Good" Pain?

Is there such a thing? If there is that's what I have this morning. My legs are rebelling after my 11.5 miles last night. I kept the pace slow and easy since it was a followup to my interval session on Tuesday. I still ran out of juice at the end of my run. I'm not stressing about it though, because I'm happy that I even got out for the run. I only got five hours of sleep the night before. My food for the day consisted of six (that's right - count 'em - six) rice cakes with about two tablespoons of almond butter and some honey plus a couple of plums and a peach. I was stuck at my desk late and didn't get started until well after 6 PM. I was concerned that all those things were going to stack up against me. But I just kept my head down and my pace slow and steady. Two hours later I was back at the car. Tired, cramping, and *completely* spent. But I pulled it off.

Today I'm paying for it though. My quads are really sore and tired. Even if I wanted to head out for a run right now I wouldn't be able to. But unlike a couple of weeks ago, my adductors and lower back are feeling good. Am I making progress here? If so, it sure is about time!

Today is a scheduled rest day. I'm charging up the camera. I'll try to bring back some photos of that little band from Texas.

12 comments:

  1. I can't believe you toughed it out after what you ate. Get more food in there Glenn. (I am sure you know that but just be careful.)

    Have fun tonight! I am a big fan of facial hair so I will enjoy the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't beleive you made it 11.5 miles on just that little food and the day after a track workout! have fun at the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice going on the 11.5 miles. I suppose the good pain is DOMS, it's the nagging, sharp, relentless pain that I'd worry about. You're on the right track. Sounds like you could use a day off for RNR. (rest and relaxation or rock 'n' roll, or both...)


    BTW - the dollar store sells cheap sunglasses! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some hard-core running, on an almost empty stomach. The legs would not be the only part of my body to be cramped when running on a peach and some plums :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a reason why you are only eating peaches, plums a little honey on rice cakes? Glenn you need much more quality carbs and the right amount of protien. You are burning over 2000 calories (depending on your time in running 11 miles), plus your daily calorie burn off just living, breathing, walking and even sitting. Keep things balanced.

    Great effort though! Keep kickin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a big run only 2 days out from a 10k. Let me guess, this isn't your big race for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I could've functioned on that little amount of food, let alone knock out 11.5 miles! Yikes. Good job getting it done though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the lack of nutrients could have carried over into the crap-feeling you have going on today. i know it couldn't be helped yesterday, but try to fuel up for the weekend running. perhaps get some rescue-snacks/food for work when you have the need again?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah...you probably didn't choose it, but seriously dude...you need more fuel than that.

    All that being said...hope you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like that kind of pain is the good kind -- shows you're working hard but not hard enough to do permanent damage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, yeah, rice cakes are not so filling, are they?!

    Amazing and impressive that you did that many miles on that little fuel.

    ReplyDelete