Monday, August 17, 2009

I Guess I Have a Life

I was supposed to put in a 5 mile recovery run yesterday. But I guess I don't do a good job of maintaining my social calendar and was "reminded" that I had a prior commitment in the evening that I had to attend - an Eagle Scout Court of Honor. Now, if there is one thing that is near and dear to my heart, it's Scouting. I am an Eagle myself, and Scouting did more to round me out as a youth than any other activity. It kept me out of trouble. It taught me how to take care of myself. It helped me when it came to college. It helped me get jobs. Scouting seems to take a back seat these days to a lot of the other activities that are available to youth, but as long as those activities are providing value and moral guidance, it beats the alternative. It's just when I was growing up, my choices were hanging out in front of the drugstore (cheap Cheech and Chong reference) or Scouting. And since Scouting seemed like a cool thing to do (you know, camping, hiking, etc.), and the fact that it was the assigned youth program for my church (Latter Day Saints), Scouting it was!

So, it was time to honor the hard work, perseverance, and commitment of some young men that I am proud to be associated with (one of them even started out in my Cub Scout pack 10 years ago). For that, I will happily give up some miles! Well Done!

That wraps up a decent week of running. I put in 50.25 miles (even with three days off), including an epic FAIL on Wednesday followed by a pick myself up by the bootstraps Thursday and a long 20 mile Saturday.

Schedule for this week:

Monday: Rest day. Maybe some erging. Maybe not.
Tuesday: Hit the track for 5 X 800 intervals with 400 active rest. 3.25 mile warm up and 1 mile warm down for a total of 8 miles.
Wednesday: 11 mile medium long run
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 4 mile recovery run
Saturday: 10K race (haven't found one yet).
Sunday: 17 mile long
Total: 46.2 miles

Eight more weeks to Long Beach! I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

8 comments:

  1. your weekly outlooks always scare the crap out of me. best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you did the social thing. It's important to be able to focus on something else. Keeps the running in perspective.

    All the best on the coming week! D.mn, that looks heavy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Glenn -- Yes, I'm doing the 10K at Playa del Rey. It's almost -- but not quite -- walking distance from me. Course looks sort of boring, but it is right by the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we have more in common than running Glenn. Keep kickin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your Eagle Scout Court of Honor function was worth skipping the recovery run, Glenn! You still managed to put in a great week of running even with the days off. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is so sweet AND cool that you were into scouting! Enjoy this weeks training. Sorry for not blogging. I am busy planning out my kids homeschool year. Three kids to teach this year and the pressure is on!! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...only 8 weeks to Long Beach?

    Thanks for all the support and encouragement this weekend! (both the 1/2 mary AND the remodel). I need all the props I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. 50 miles in 4 days? that's nuts. those were some big mile days! nice job!!

    i'm not quite as old as you :-p but i do remember the ol' girl scout days. what's with kids these days, sigh, always getting into trouble. need to bring back the good ol' days!

    ReplyDelete