Friday, August 14, 2009

Monkey Off My Back?

After Wednesday night's debacle, I was hesitant to go out and try another 12 miles. During the day I contemplated the best thing for me to do: (1) Feign exhaustion and throw in the towel, (2) Convince myself that nine or ten miles was good enough, (3) Feign exhaustion and throw in the towel, or (4) HTFU and do 12 miles around the bay with 3rd fingers extended.

Well, I opted for #4. I did make a few adjustments though. As you may have read yesterday, I was beginning to wonder how much fueling was at issue. Normally, my runs over 9 miles are all done in the AM. And, if you know me, those runs usually start off with either a glazed buttermilk bar or an apple fritter. What's happening these days is I'm putting in ten to twelve miles in the late evening with my last meal usually being lunch. So yesterday, I had a Clif bar around 4:30. That put a few calories in my system. Also, I packed away a Gu (Vanilla Bean - yum!) to use during the run. And finally, I slowed waaaaayyyy down. This final item was part of the plan, since Wednesday night's run was (supposed to be) a hard run.

Bottom line, all the little tweaks seemed to do the trick. 12 miles around the Back Bay at an average heart rate of 73% of max. This is the first successful Back Bay Loop run I've had in the last four or five attempts. The monkey is off my back. Or more like the refrigerator is off my back.

Today is a rest day. I'm happy about that. I'm a little sore, but mostly I'm a lot of tired. It was tough getting up this morning. I'll gladly take a rest day today. Especially since Saturday is another 20 miler. Sigh. The life of a marathon hopeful. A 4:45 marathon hopeful.....

11 comments:

  1. Great job on making those oh so important tweaks. I had to do a lot of that myself this week.

    I am pretty happy to be on the East so I can at least pretend that my 20 miler is easier since I'll finish a few hours before you. Then again you'll be all snuggly in your bed while I am huffin' and puffin'!

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the refrigerator scampered off and climbed aboard my back. :( Hoping to shake it before tomorrow's long run. I'll send it someone else's way though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Enjoy your recovery day off and keep kickin! Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area is great place to run, rest and play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey just read Aerosmith canceled the rest their tour. You were asking for any tour news on them. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad about Aerosmith!

    Nice comeback run! I guess some runs are just dogs, which makes the good runs feel glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the monkey's gone...amazing what a bit of the proper fuel will do (in addition to the other tweaks), isn't it? I'm finally starting to pay attention to stuff like that and it makes a difference, that's for sure! Enjoy your rest day & have a great long run!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate it when your planned scheduled run fails. It sucks, but you gotta just get back on the saddle as YOU did. Proud of yah! By the way, Love the vanilla bean gu. I had it a few weeks ago and it was yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you found out something that worked for you! I usually have to eat a snack around 3pm if I am going out for a 4pm run otherwise I will die!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You inspire me to run. Tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah..bummer about Aerosmith.

    I can't stand doing long runs in the afternoon. I never seem to have the energy for more than 5 or 6 miles...at most! Glad you figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you had a good med-long run! i'm sure a combination of a long day, not eating since lunch and the weather could have been affecting you. hopefully the mid-afternoon snack will continue to help.

    now what you need to work on is that pre-am run fueling. buttermilk bars and apple fritters don't exactly sound healthy ;)

    ReplyDelete