Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'm Now Official

I've been running around for a year with a chip on my shoulder courtesy of America's Finest City. When I ran my first (and last) marathon (San Diego Rock N' Roll 2008), I really had no idea what I was in for. My 30 mile peak weeks were woefully inadequate. I approached every training run like it was a race. I thought I was in good shape when I was able to finish 14 or 16 miles in a 10:14 pace by running BTTW. Little did I know what was in store for me on race day. I finished, but I really felt like the course and distance got the better of me.

Well, the one thing I really detest is not being in control. And San Diego was the ultimate beat down. The streets were in control. The weather was in control. The distance was in control. I was not. So I knew at some point I would be back. That day is today. I'm now official for the Long Beach Marathon. I pressed the submit button. I shelled out the dough.

I know I could have done it earlier and saved some money, but being an old fart, I am never sure how my body is going to hold up to the rigors of training. And especially this time. I chose the Pfitzinger 24/55 training plan (24 weeks, 55 mile peak weeks) because it is difficult and demanding. As I move into the last 8 weeks of training, I'm still wondering if I'm going to hold up. As you all know, there have been some trials and tribulations the past couple of weeks. Little tweaks here. Little niggles there. Lots of tired all around. But, to put in a 20 miler and feel strong afterwards - well I have a new lease on my running life.

This isn't about ego. This isn't about having fun (face it - 5 hours on my feet in the sun with chafed thighs, blisters the size of the soles of my feet and bloody nipples is not my idea of fun). This is about getting even. This is about taking this marathon monster and beating it into submission. This is about finishing on my terms. Even if that is a 4:45 marathon.


So there we go. Mental training. Submit button clicked.

14 comments:

  1. You tell that marathon! You have been working so hard Glenn. I know you are going to have a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to GO! You're going to work this marathon if your training is any indicator. :) Can't wait for it to get here and see how it goes! I am still alive and kicking (running) and will return to actually blogging later today. I've been working on this stinking WWR race reports. They're taking for.ev.er! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beat it, kick it, pound that pavement into submission. You the man! Try body glide products for the chaffing rubbing shirt issues. I have heard the Long Beach Marathon is flat and walker friendly. However, I read someone stole (right under the noses of the organizers day of race)finishers medals. So, those who finished late - did not get one. There are some, I guess, in the neighborhood who do not like the race happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I didn't know you weren't "official" before. If it is helpful to you, instead of irritating (I understand the control issues), and you decide to do the 10K on Saturday, I'd be willing to pick up your number for you on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooooooo this got me ALL sorts of pumped up. You are so much more prepared this time around. Really, who can blame you for your first marathon - running is all about trial and error. Now you know what you are capable of doing..which is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! :) I will be out there with you. Fun or not, it's an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep up the fierce and determined attitude--love it! You'll do great with your intense training and determination to do well. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute graphic for the post. You'll love Long Beach. Just remember not to pedal as fast as the half marathoners the first 10 miles. Save it for the second half!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, I'm totally cuing up the Rocky music in my head. I felt similarly in my first (and only) marathon so I'm wholeheartedly rooting for you.

    Oh and somehow your blog didn't get back into my feed reader after my hard drive incident. So, sorry I haven't commented in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will rock that marathon with this kind of mental attitude and honestly I feel like i am a true believer in the mental stuff! keep it up! We are all here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you'll do fine. But if you run into trouble, I'll make room for you on the bus bench! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You go get 'em Glenn...You are going to be completely in control this time (and of course, then we can tease you about being a control-freak...but you can take it!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yet, despite all the hardship, we keep running. 5 hours is an epic run!

    You show that race who's boss

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha i didn't know you hadn't registered yet! glad it was still open :)

    bring it on marathon! you got nothin' on glenn!

    ReplyDelete